Documentation question

Jeff Hansen

I have been an AACA member for a number of years and if all goes according to plan, I will be showing my very first vehicle soon. I have read the current judging manual and attended judging schools in the past but don't recall having seen this question come up.

My question is on documentation. I know that it is the owner's responsibility to provide FACTORY documentation of his/her vehicle when questions arise. Must ORIGINAL factory documentation be provided or will reproductions or photocopies of the ORIGINAL factory documentation be satisfactory? My concern is having valuable original literature out in public.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I don't want to screw up my first attempt at showing a car, but I also don't want to put valuable literature at risk. How do others handle this situation? Any insight or advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

I can understand your consern, HIGH quality color copies are fine. You may want to have the originals stored in a safe place with the car, but copies for the team to view are accepted. Most of the related literature on my race cars are one of a kind items, the less people handling originals the better. grin.gif

Jeff, I take some of my original factory documentation (dealer album, accessory brochure, etc) along with copies of other paperwork that was from the factory to the dealer (confidential price lists with part #'s, etc) that are extremely rare. I even made copies of the rare stuff as I was asked so many times by fellow hobbyist for a copy.

I have never had a problem at a meet and during the years needed every bit of documentation at one time or another. At last years Grand National when going for a repeat senior the team captain came back 3 times and went through the documentation. It took 18 minutes to judge my car this time. I have also had the same item questioned 2 or 3 times in a year. No problem with the right paperwork.

If you have something that could be questionable (or not) on your vehicle the best thing to do is to tell the team captain when they approach your car for judging to see you for documentation. Then if they have any issues on anything they will typically ask you for the documentation. And when they do (and they will) hopefully you will have it all. Don't leave any documentation behind or guess what you will end up needing. I actually took my documentation over to a friends car (same as mine) and went through the judging process with his vehicle as he was caught in traffic, then the judges walked next door to my car. The judges were a little perplexed at first at what was going on.

The only thing I have not been able to provide is a factory photo of a radiator cap of which mine got questioned. Mine is a original one that I found at Hershey years ago (semi rare) however everyone else uses a reproduction. I took the repro off and replaced with the real cap, however without the photo, and if I go to next years Grand National I will put the reproduction cap on as advised by the judges.

The AACA judging is fair and not to difficult if mostly all is correct and you can prove it. Good luck.

Jeff,

What we have done is had high quality copies made of the original literature. This way if it gets ruined, stolen, wet, etc., you're not out that much money. I would however have the original stuff on hand, but not bring it out unless the judges are adament about getting the original literature.

The AACA library doesn't always have the documentation that you can sometimes be expected to produce, and I myself have had to rely on copies of a copy for documentation.

In the case of last Friday's AGNM, I had color photocopies made of all of the documentation that was available on our car that was in the AACA library, and placed them in a nice three ring binder inside sheet protectors. There was not a single time during the AGNM, or at Saturday's meet where anyone wanted the only the original paperwork.

I wouldn't stash my originals in the car. If you elect to take them with you, have them somewhere safe where they can be retrieved if some fussass says, "I wanna see da originals."

Demanding to see the originals, when high quality reproductions are available, is ridiculous. If you get documentation from the AACA Library you certainly aren't going to get the originals. You will get reproductions. That should be good enough for anybody.

hvs

As stated, AACA requirements are that any feature, option or accessory must be shown in original factory literature. This does not mean that you must own original literature nor does it mean that copies cannot be used. However, if there is a question concerning your car you will need FACTORY verification to prove your point. Articles in magazines, etc. will not suffice. Hope this is clear.

While we are talking about documentation may I add, when it involves tires, and especially whether the car should have bias or radial tires. Factory documentation does not mean from the tire manufacturer. Timelines showing when B. F. Goodrich, Goodyear, or John Doe Tire Company first produced radial tires don?t qualify. Yes the company may make radials at that time but, that don?t mean they are right for that particular year, make and model of car. <span style="font-weight: bold">The tire documentation needs to be from the car manufacturer</span> stating the proper tire for that car is thus.... or thus....

Quote; "Now, to find a spot in the car to stash the originals...."

Original or reproduction documentation stores well for a show in a sealed Tupperware container with a lid which you can buy from Wal-Mart or wherever for a few dollars. You can buy these frosted so the sun won't do damage. Sometimes I store them under the car or in the trunk. Usually at the show my wife and I put it between our chairs and use it for a table. If we (usually me) take a stroll I generally give it to the neighbor to watch.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I do appreciate them!

The fact that <span style="font-weight: bold">FACTORY</span> documentation is required (as opposed to magazine articles or similar) is <span style="font-weight: bold">CRYSTAL CLEAR</span>. I am looking forward to the judging experience.

Kind regards,

Jeff