Oil filter canister- 48 V-12 and how to measure valve lifter gap

I am in need of the canister and element, have new lines, original filter was missing when car was bought. Found ford filter, but find mounting bracket is not going to work. Also have no info on where it is mounted or what outlets on block are used. Appreciate any help you can offer.Have just put valves back in block and am confused as to how to measure clearance between bottom of valve and top of hydraulic lifter. Recomended .030-.070 with cam heel at bottom but can't tell if at absolute bottom or what feeler gauge will get in that space????? Is this measurement necessary. New cam and some lifters have been refaced.

Concerning your valve clearance measurements. The .030" to .070" clearance is measured between the mushroom end of the valve and the plunger of the hydraulic valve lifter. The lifter must be "dry" and you have to bottom the plunger in order to check the clearance. The proper clearance is obtained by either refacing the valve,to lower it, decreasing the clearance or grinding the bottom of the valve stem to increase the clearance. Each valve has to be done separately.

You should probably check the "sources" at this site for a filter housing and bracket. I would check Merv Adkins. The filter is unique to a V12 and is mounted on the left cylinder head near the rear. the two lines connect to the left rear of the block above the flywheel housing. The cartridge for these filters is pretty standard, I use a Fram C-4.

Guest imported_V12Bill

The .030 - .070 clearance for the hydraulic lifters is to insure that the lifter is not overly worn. If these clearances are not able to be reached, then you have a badly worn lifter housing, came lobe or broken lifter. Grinding valve seat or valve stem is for lifter clearance on solid lifter engines such as the 36 37 Lincoln or flathead V 8. .030 to .070 is 1/32 to 1/16 inch which is excessive for solid lifter engines but is taken up easily by hydralic liters.

Bill

It appears that a new( reground?) cam and some lifter bodies have been re-surfaced and I would assume the valves and seats have been re-surfaced also. Any one or combination of the above operations will affect the clearance between the valve stem and the hydraulic lifter plunger. A reground cam will sit the lifter body a tad lower along with a re-surfaced lifter body. The only way to make up for these clearance changes, if they are out of spec, is to either reface the valve or grind the mushroom tip to obtain the .030" to .070".

You can check these clearances for a particular cylinder when the piston is at top dead center and both valves are closed.