Old studebaker

Hi ZVika

That is a 1934 Studebaker Sedan. Is it a six or eight cylinder?

It is hard to tell for sure if it is a Dictator, Commander or a President.

The hood has horizontal louvers and appears to be a late model "Year Ahead" style.

Check under the hood and there is a tag on the firewall. Get those numbers.

We'll need some numbers before we can further I.D. it.

Are you a member of the Antique Studebaker Club?

Check out the web page.

www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com

The Commander

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there,

It's a six...

finally i found some numbers:

Serial No. from a plate on the Chassis: 520736 I

from another plate: AW-2 4042

Does this help with the ID?

Thank You!

Zvika </div></div>

Your serial number is 5207361 - Studebaker used the letter "I" for the number "1" for many years.

It is a 1934 "Year Ahead" Dictator, series A, which was introduced on 15 July 1934. The serial numbers for the "Year Ahead" Dictators started at 5200001 for South Bend, Indiana.

The "AW-2 4042" is for the series, body style and body number :

A - 1934 Commander

W - 4-door sedan

2 - Model - Sub-series - The Dictator came as (base), Custom and Regal. Normally Studebaker had the series 1, 3, and 5, but it may be possible the "Year Ahead" models were 2, 4 and 6.

4042 - It would be the 3,942nd Commander 4-door sedan built. Numbers started at 101.

Have you located the engine number? It should be stamped either the left front corner of engine block or top surface of the fan bracket and should started with "D".

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thank You!

Great help.

The serial No. from the engine is:D 24940.

What is the final verdict - is it a 1934 Dictator?

Do you happen to know were can i buy a parts catalog (Shows component parts in large assemblies)- one that will show pictures of parts with there numbers and will help me order parts during the restoration period?

Once again

THANK YOU!

Zvika

Guest stude8

BillW's answer has I believe a typo, the model # character "A" indicates it is a 1934 Dictator (not Commander). The engine number D24940 indicates a 1934 Dictator L head 6cyl with 3-1/4" bore x 4-1/8" stroke or 205.3 CID the engine numbers for 1935 begin at 27,501 and up so yours is a late 1934 production block.

I happen to have a chassis/body parts book for Model A Studebaker Dictator Sixes (160 pages long 8-1/4"x10-3/4" size). It is dated Feb 1st, 1934 so it will not show your year ahead style sheet metal with horizontal hood louvers. The mechanical sections should be very similar. I could scan or xerox copy pages for you but I have a question of where do you think you can order parts for this car?? There may be a few vendors with NOS or good used pieces but I don't know who has any large selection of parts to inquire to.

I have scanned the engine side cross section view but I can't get it smaller than 185K bytes so it won't attach in this forum. Send me your email address and I will forward it along. Where are you located? I am in the Chicago,IL area. Stude8

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Wheels" only the mid year introduced 1934's were called "Year Ahead" style that had the horizontal hood louvers like Zvi's car has. They were first shown at the Chicago Worlds Fair exhibit that year. Stude8