1917 Stinson Automobile

Guest Cartunman

Guest Cartunman

Hello,

I have a friend who has what he believes is a 1917 Stinson automobile rolling chassis. It has an engine, drive train and four wooden spoke wheels. He doesn't have a body but it is an automobile. I have presented my quest to my friends at the VCCA chat room and they are now off on a tangent on what a beautiful plane the Stinson is. I have researched and the closest I have gotten it the planes were made by Eddie Stinson in the 1920s. His sisters had flown planes just before that and made history by being the first women to do many things taken for granted today. The one car connection was presented by a fellow in Canada that Kathleen raced a car in her plane.

We are interested in any information about this car and an idea of what the complete car looks like.

Thanks a lot

<span style="font-style: italic">The American Car Since 1775</span> (which has a much more complete list the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog</span> series) does not list a "Stinson" automobile either, and there is is no reference to one online either. They do mention a <span style="font-style: italic">Stilson</span> Motor Car Co. (a.k.a. <span style="font-style: italic">Stetson</span> Motor Car Co,), which was built between 1907 and 1910. Could you be confusing the <span style="font-style: italic">Stinson</span> Aircraft Corpporation with this firm?

Dave

You could be correct, except that "Cartunman" has stated that the vehicle is a 1917. Although since there is no reference to there ever being a Stinson, perhaps the guess that it's a 1917 could be incorrect as well. "HarryJ" has asked the right question. "Why does he think it's a Stinson?" Add to that, why does he think it's a 1917 model?