Help!!!!! Intermittent CRT Display

It seems as though my CRT has become intermittent as the cold weather is starting to set in in the northeast. In the morning I get no display , but the screen is still operational(if you can remember where the buttons are). In the afternoon the display returns(at least for now), and I made plastic overlays with the buttons marked that cling to the CRT (static) as a temporary fix.<BR>Has anyone sucessfully repaired this problem. Because it is temperature related, I am assuming it is a cracked solder joint on a PC board or some other cause which expands and makes an electrical connection at temperatures above fifty or so.<BR>Also, I would love to have a used CRT, working or not, so I can send one out to be repaired while still having one to use(I can still use mine if I buy a non operational CRT)<BR>And , last, where should I send it? Has anyone had any good experiences sending one out? Any help would be sincerely appreciated!<P> Dan tdc@jersey.net<BR>

I had the exact same problem with mine, and since mine was a daily driver, I couldn't send it out for rebuilding. <P>I went to my local dealer who are typically jerks, but they did help me out in this instance. I simply ordered and prepaid the rebuilt CRT from them for $275, and to avoid paying the $900 core charge, I took out the old CRT in thier parking lot right before I picked up the rebuilt. Then put the new one right there. <P>From what I gather, I think the car can be operated without the touchscreen, just be sure you like what's playing on the radio before you take it out! <P>Seriously though, since alot of the warnings about problems with the car come through the CRT, I'd minimize driving without it, even though it can be done.<P>------------------<BR><B>Jim Gough</B> <A HREF="http://www.esprinkles.com" TARGET=_blank>www.esprinkles.com</A> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.org" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.org</A> <p>[This message has been edited by wheresjim (edited 09-07-2000).]

taking the crt out of the dash is not too hard...bring it to an authorized delco repair shop...they'll exchange it for a rebuilt one for 250-300 dollars....and it should take about three to six weeks...keep your eyes peeled for a spare...found mine in a junkyard...got the crt, radio and cassette deck for 100. and they all worked!...the crts were the same in 88 and 89 reatta and riviera--and they all work the same...as they get info from whatever car they're installed in....good luck

YOu can send your CRT to the Auto Electric shop in california (see my posts around May of this year) and they will have the exchange unit overnighted to you for around $180.<P>I did drive with a non-functional CRT for about 2 weeks while I hunted for the repair station. The previous post is correct, but needs to be expanded. Be sure the climate control is set where you like it as well as the radio.<P>