1956 Chrysler Imperial Wire Wheel Problem

Bob Ross

I am having trouble with my wire wheels tearing up my tubes in the L78-15 tires I have on the car. I was told that with todays new tires the insides are not smooth like yesteryear. Therefore they will tear up tubes quite frequently. Do I have any options or do I go to the steel wheels & hubcaps and the wires only for show? Any help would be a great service. Thanks

Guest Randy Berger

Bob, when I had my Packard wire wheels restored, the outfit sealed the spokes in rubber so that I could run tubeless tires. Would Glyptal seal the nipples so that they wouldn't leak? How about that rubber sealer that comes in a can for about $6.00? I would think that is a better solution. There was a powder used to coat the inside of a tire to prevent chafing the tube but I can't remember who sold it.

Watch using that miracle fix a flat in a can. Most shops charge at least $10 to clean a rim up that it was used on as it is a mother to get off, plus it will typically make your tire out of balance once it drys inside as it usually collects on one side of the rim/tire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having trouble with my wire wheels tearing up my tubes in the L78-15 tires I have on the car. I was told that with todays new tires the insides are not smooth like yesteryear. Therefore they will tear up tubes quite frequently. Do I have any options or do I go to the steel wheels & hubcaps and the wires only for show? Any help would be a great service. Thanks </div></div>

You're not clear on the problem, is it the tire or wheel that is getting torn? If it is the spoke area of the wheel you need rim flaps like the ones used on 1930's era cars. If it is tire to tube, powder or new tires.

Thank you all. You have been very helpful. I am going to go with the BF Goodrich wide white bias ply tires and a radial tube. I will try to see if I can seal the inside spoke nipples but if not I can always try some rubber or pvc tape inside and powder the tire & tube before inserting the tube & pumping it up.

Again Thanks Being a shade tree mechanic has some drawbacks, but I can usually fix most things on a car. This was just out of my league.

When I replaced the tires and tubes on my '63 Sunbeam Alpine (Dunlop wire wheels), I purchased these bands of rubber that go on the inside of the rim to protect the tube. I know that this is common for British wire wheels, but I don't know if these are available in the larger size you would need.