Door check strap or hinge noise

Roadster90

I keep applying a lubricant supposedly made especially for door hinge noise and it only lasts for about a week or so. I recall someone mentioning the problem before, but forget the dialog...can someone refresh please?

Thanks,

Nic

I had a problem with the door check mechanism. It was very noisy and creaked when opening and closing. I didn't fix the problem, but I found that the bearing in the mechanism that rolls against the slotted follower that stops the door at some point before max open had rusted and there was no bearing left. My description of the parts may not be correct. My temporary solution was to remove the bearing by forcing the spring away and lifting the bearing off of the pivot. If anybody has a source for the bearings, I would appreciate knowing.

Robert

Robert,

Sorry no one has answered our questions/solved our problem. I read your post and went out to have a look-see on mine. I think my roller is OK and while looking at it I seemed to remember that the previous post I was refering to mentioned white grease. I am going to try some of that to see if it cures my creaking...I still might very well need the little roller. I would suggest we contact Jim Finn.... jfinn@cpinternet.com . He should have the parts.

Went out again and white lube had no effect on the roller...I tried the special door hing spray can oil on all of the hinges and the culprit ended up being the opposite side of the check trap roller >>> the pin to check strap connection on the door...tried to force in some white lube .... will see how long it lasts.

Somewhat related...

My '93 Explorer drivers door was sagging. Because I found the process of driving out the rivets and replacing the pins/bushings to be complicated (at the time) I went to the dealer and bought a new hinge assembly and installed that. I did the bottom hinge only because it's much easier to access the related hardware and the rest of the slack can be taken up by adjusting. I haven't been outside to look at a Reatta hinge but it seems as though it could be replaced.