Other Select 60s

From what I understand, it was an annual program (while Mertz was div pres) but there were only two years when the Reatta was involved as a "prize"<P>In '88 there was a Select Sixty recognition that awarded the dealer an '88 Reatta. Because the car was new and the cars were at that time in demand, there was no time to make a special car. So the dealer was given "credit" for a Reatta. We believe that the "Select Sixty... Buick dealer" hood emblem was part of that award and the emblem was sent to the dealer to put on his car. We have no way of knowing how many dealers actually put the emblem on a car and how many emblems stayed in a desk or file cabinet. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

to barney eaton if the 1988 select sixty program was a follow up deal to the dealer what else would be different to my 88 other than the hood emblem thank you

Nothing that we can find. We have only located one car with the emblem. A lady in Knoxville had a black car with the emblem. She sent pictures and all the information on the "service parts information label" and we could find nothing that showed anything special. There was a code of X22 that no one could explain, but that could be a special promotion code. <BR>If you have a car with an emblem we would like to get similar information from your car. You can send that to me at Barney@texas.net. <P>For the rest of you that are new Reatta owners. I keep a database of cars sent to me by owners. This helps to determine colors, color combinations, and options. Send me that information along with your VIN number.<BR>You can view the database at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

The only other Select 60 Buick we are aware of, besides the 1988 Reatta that Barney mentions above and the 1990 convertibles we are familiar with, is a 1983 Riviera convertible Model 4EZ57. I believe these 1983 Select 60 Riviera convertibles were also Indianapolis 500 Pace car editions. Regular 1983 Riviera convertibles were Model 4EZ67. <BR>We registered one for the 1998 BCA National Meet in Massachusetts and have since seen it in Columbus in 1999 and I think it was also in Richmond this year. A BCA Board of Director owns it. I believe he is also a Buick salesman in the Indianpolis, IN area.<P>When Buick announced that Riviera production would cease in November, 1998 with only 2000 produced for the 1999 Model year, they also announced that the last 200 would be a limited edition named Silver Arrow after the an early sixties concept car of the same name that eventually evolved into the 1963 Riviera.<P>We are not aware of any other Select 60 cars although there may be others. In the past, Select 60 cars were awarded to the top dealer for sales and service in each of Buick's 60 sales zones.<P>Buick also has an annual dealer recognition program called "Best in Class". More than one dealer in each zone can achieve this recognition by meeting a Buick defined standard. We once saw a series of 5 to 7 years of posters of Buick dealers across the US who had achieved the "Best in Class" recogintion in the showroom of Edward Buick, the "Best in Class" dealer in Worcester, MA who received and sold the 1990 Select 60 Reatta Convertible. The also received the #1 of 200 1999 Silver Arrow Riveria. They advertised this car but we never saw it and do not know its current status.

We need to make a correction in our previous posting. We looked at the wrong Riviera for Select 60 status.<P>The car that was registered as a Select 60 at the 1998 BCA National Meet was a 1982 Convertible not a 1983. It was from New Jersey.<P>The Model code was also different from the regular coupe and convertible model codes.<P>The 1982 Select 60 Riviera Convertible Model code is 4AZ67 not 4EZ67 (regular convertible) or 4EZ57 (regular coupe). We still believe it was an Indianapolis 500 Pace car edition.<P>In the previous posting I mentioned a 1983 from Indianapolis, IN. The color of that car was beige and the Model code was 4EZ57 which is a coupe. Since this car is beige it probably was a Twentieth Anniversary edition which Buick made that year. We do not know how many were made. We have seen several of these. <P>Buick also made a Fifteenth Anniersary Edition Riviera in 1978. This car was black and silver. We have seen several of these including one last year that has never been sold or registered with only 600 miles on it.<BR>