Good polish for bumper chrome?

Is that rear bumper really chrome or is it polished steel with a clear coat sprayed on it? If it is the latter you want to be careful how you clean it.

I think it is polished aluminum with a clearcoat, but am not 100% sure.<P>------------------<BR>1972 GS 455 4-speed <BR>1990 Reatta convertible<BR>1990 Regal GS

Guest jim_houston

I don't know about "stellar" performances. I have the same problem with my 91 too. So far, the best thing I've found is McGuires #2 polish for the bumper and the rear tail lense. You need to go over it about every 45 days. My rear bumper is behaving just like yours, my front bumper is fine. I don't think my exhaust has anything to do with the oxidation on my rear bumper, I think it's the sun, but not entirely sure. I am interested to see if there really are any "stellar" chrome restoration kits out there.<BR>Jim Houston

The bumpers are aluminum, chemically polished, then anodized. Do not use any harsh abrasives that can cut through the anodizing which is quite thin or you will have to regularly polish off the black oxidation film to return the shine.<BR> I have the same bumper discoloration over the exhaust pipe and think it is the exhaust fumes doing it.