Interior panel lights and dimming

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

Have irratic intensity of panel and crt lights.Lights are too bright for night driving.Sometimes turning on fog lamps will decrease intensity but not reliable. Have code 115,sunload sensor(ran diagnostics ,reading minus 22 no problem, but resets after clear).Dimmer switch movement has no effect. Have defroster grille and dash panel removed(didn't crack anything!)<BR> Please identify the 3 sensors I see as seem to have xtra because car does's not have Twilight Headlight Function and suggest which to replace and where to buy.

Guest wally888

1st to dash removal,God I feel smart like I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night.<BR> After asking several times in the forum,how to remove Defroster grill then forward dash panel and assembling info received:I tried 2 screwdrivers-nope-tried looping several insulated wires thru louver openings and pulling straight while prying w/ screwdriver-nope.Them I made a little metal tool that is about 3 inches long,3/4 inches wide,bout .060 thick. Then from about 1/8 inch at one end I bent it at about a 45 degree angle .Guessed at location of defroster grill 1st catch and pried on the side nearest the steering wheel while pushing forward and lifting w/ the tool. This thing was put in to stay!(there are 12 catches on each side of the grille and they "LOCK" up under the edges of dash panel like one side of a frog gig! I will measure entire grill and exact location of catches so you can push and pry at EXACT places or the thing will break.<BR> I then tried several ways to remove dash panel and finally made another tool about 3/4 in. wide, 2 1/2 in.long,.060 thick and bent less than 1/8 inch from one end to about 95 degrees.By prying opening between dash and dash panel a little wider I was able to slip tool into crack and it would lock under lower lip of panel.Lucky for me the tool had a hole in it about 3/4 inch from bent end and I could insert a long screwdriver,put pad and cloth on dash to protect, and pry up. Both the grille and dash pad give you the impression they will not move and you are going to break them!<BR> I have several things I must do today before measuring and reporting but will provide here soon.

Guest wally888

Forgot to give latest report on panel lights dimming.Seems I have a bad potentiometer in dimming switch however was able to find a GOOD spot and all works o k ,if it don't vibrate to another position.Still need cheap source for new sunload sensor and wonder if anyone has ever repaired panel lights dimmer switch.To get a new one I think I have to buy whole assembly $150 + ?? and has anyone tried to repair broken off knob on dimmer switch.

WALLY888 I have a good dimmer switch I'll sell you . Send me a E-Mail at owassoadam @ juno.com. Provide address and ect. $50.00 plus shipping if your interested.

That's correct. I have the complete headlight switch assembly. Also have the complete windsheild wiper switch assembly. $50.00 each plus shipping, if your intrested.

Guest wally888

I don't need one w/ Twilight Switch.Just stalling to see if spraying dimmer switch will help as someone suggested.I found 1 place on the potentiometer where I don't,at the moment,have a problem.Will drive at night a few times to see if I need that switch.Thanks