World's Rarest Vehicle?

Perfect for a true "FINKSTER", but not practical. I LOVE IT! Did'nt meet the reserve last time at over $40,000!

There are other "one-of" driveables out there, yet not for sale.

Example: THe AMC "Cowboy", a 70's Hornet-nosed answer to the ElCamino. The most stylish pick-up/car I've seen, detailed with green/white body.

The designer's nephew inherited it with the condition of never letting it go outside the family. He lives in Neb? I saw it at the 100th anniversary Kenosha transportation show in 2003.

What's your favorite "Rarest car in the world"?

Thanx 4 posting a photo of the Cowboy!

Loooks like a Kansas plate.

Love amphicars, too! Just missed one for sale @10 years back, have'nt seen one since.

Our Reattae are'nt the rarest, but my 1991 Reatta is among the rare set, 196 hit the road, with only 150 sold to the public, making it one of the rarest lines built since the 1959 ElDorado convertible (101 cars), another favorite of mine.

I respectfully suggest you go back and reread Steve Moskowitz's post. He said Library and Research center <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> the AACA Museum, Inc. There is a big difference between the two entities and they should not be confused.

hvs

For one, you as a general AACA member don't get to vote on board members. In my opinion, it is a "business" of it's own, that uses the AACA name, can not be truly held accountable by the AACA membership.

The idea was great, but I don't like the way the orginaztional structure was setup or the way some of the fund raising was handled. But there again, it is my opinion. The admission for AACA members is the same as Senior Citizens, a whoopping $1 off regular admission. I personaly think after the AACA membership poured money into that place, we deserve better than that.

I'll put my soapbox away so I don't get this thread deleted because of my feelings for the museum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For one, you as a general AACA member don't get to vote on board members. In my opinion, it is a "business" of it's own, that uses the AACA name, can not be truly held accountable by the AACA membership. </div></div>

Interesting, that explains why it has an odd feel to it. Do actual "car people" run this?

If you notice, you can go to the AACA home page and click on the 2005 officers then click contact infromation for officers to get the board members. go to the library's home page and there is a link to thier officers/board members. Got the museum site and none of that infromation is there. Guess we aren't privelged enough to get to know who the officers are.

Point taken, but I must say that if it says "AACA" on it, it's all one and the same to most people. It's too confusing & too much trouble to try to keep track of who's running what. Do you think the average AACA member knows the difference between the museum & the research center? Or cares what the difference is for that matter?

Keep the soapbox out David and we can both get up on it.

OK Choc, here goes.

The Museum is supposed to be a profit making enterprize, although it isn't turning out that way. There are those who will tell you that it will be sometime sooner or later, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't you hold yours.

One thing standing in the way of breaking even is debt service and personnel overhead. Heat, light, insurance and property taxes are to be expected. The number of employees makes one wonder. The demand for current funds makes it almost impossible to build an endowment to secure the future of the enterprise. Somewhere along the line someone missed the lesson about walking before you can run.

The Library and Research center is a repository of reference materials relating to the automobile, as well as being a reference source for members and the general public. It must charge for it's services and depend on donations to survive. It receives a small stipend from the AACA annually which MIGHT cover part of the heat and light. It sure didn't cover the new roof, emergency donations did.

Many of the Library Board members bust their butts working for the Library on their own time and without a dime of compensation. Who is physically busting their butt over at the Museum?

As David said, we get to vote for the Library leadership and they are answerable to we the members. The Museum Board is a self perpetuating oligarchy answerable only to themselves. Perhaps if they were answerable to some outside entity they might run a tighter ship.

And that is one man's personal observations in answer to your question, Choc.

HVS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is for the Amphicar guy, it may be old hat but I just ran across this link on Prewar Car about Herr Trippel the man behind the Amphicar design. </div></div>

Stude8 - That was done by one of Hans' personal friends in Germany. He had quite the storied life. His passion for amphibious vehicles all started in 1932 after a smart alek remark about his race car designs.

John Bevins

Choc, I just attached this to your post as it isn't directed at no one in particular.

At the Founders Tour closing banquet Don B from the library board gave a little speech regarding the library and its many useful documents that may be needed when restoring a certain vehicle, etc. He also stated that it typically runs in the red each year on the average of 20K. Assuming that is true who makes up the shortage?

The library and museum workers / volunteers do an excellent job with little compensation (if any) and credit. Just imagine if 60,000 AACA members would give $5 to each organization every year. That would allow them approximately an additional $300,000 in the kitty per year.

Whomever wins the Glen Neigh brass sculpture lets give it back to the library for display or to national to possibly make a library annual national award.

Ron ~ No offense meant, but perhaps some of us have bought tickets on the sculpture because we sincerely want that sculpture for our collection. I know that is why I have bought more than one ticket, or several each time I am where the sculpture is displayed. Fran Shore will be visiting here at my home before the Denver Meets in a few weeks, and I imagine I will buy a few more tickets then. I am not buying all of these tickets to enhance my chances of winning so I can give it away. I really like that piece of artwork and am helping the Library by buying a bunch of tickets. I know of someone else buying tickets like I am because that person also wants the sculpture.

I sincerely hope that there is not a campaign to put pressure on the winner to give back the sculpture. That would be unfair and unfortunate. It is always easy to recommend giving away someone else's money or posessions.

So, I am stating here unequivocally, that should I win the sculpture I <span style="font-weight: bold">WILL NOT GIVE IT BACK.</span> Think what you want of my position, but it is my right and I should not be coerced into doing otherwise and neither should any other potential winner. Now if someone has bought chances for no reason other than to help the Library and has no interest in the piece of art, then <span style="font-weight: bold">THEY</span> may wish to give it back. But giving it back does not help the Library financially because the LRC would not go out and raffle it again or offer it for sale. If the winner really wants to help the Library, then let them make a substantial cash donation and enjoy both their own generosity and the sculpture.

Having said all of that, should we win the raffle, Judy and I would leave the sculpture to the Library when we die.

As for how does the LRC make up its annual defecit? They get contributions as I have done every time I hear they are short of $, and they sell off donated cars which really have no place in the library's collection. It is a library, not a car meusem. Having said that, there are a few special pieces that will always remain in the lobby such as Benny Bootle's Old Blue, in appreciation of Benny's generosity to the Library from its inception.

If any of those cars are considered worthy of a place in the Museum, then let the Museum buy them at a fair price, or bid on them at auction. We should never expect the Library to <span style="font-weight: bold">GIVE</span> any cars to the Museum.

HVS

Howard, No offense taken and I wish all good luck who bought tickets. Fran and I were discussing the sculpture at the Founders Tour and she indicated to me that others had the same idea and thought it was a good one.

This certainly is not a campaign to take away anyone's processions by any means, or a recommendation on how to spend someone else money as you suggested, just a casual comment that really didn't warrant a to lengthy response. I will give it to the LRC if I win and don't expect anyone to be swayed by my actions, though it sounds like I should buy some more tickets. smirk.gif

I never knew the LRC received that many vehicles in a years time and they actually sold them to make up the deficit. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other even if they were to give them to the AACA museum, but with all business things need to be kept separate I'm sure.

I too do my fair share however more so to the museum side, though small compared to some but better then most. Hopefully their endowment fund will become large enough someday be self sustaining.

1937, It is a beautiful sculpture that is a bit on the heavy side (85 pounds I think?) and has lots of great detail. As Rick said check it out on the Library's site.

Have a good weekend!

Ron, Maybe I took the wrong approach and was too subtile when I asked about the Glen Neidigh fund raiser. IF YOU WANT TO SELL TICKETS.....post the information on this GENERAL FORUM. Great piece of art work, and it should be on top of the flashing lights on the left side of this page. Some history about Glen, for those that didn't get to have him as a friend and some info on the artist would go a long ways in raising funds. But that is just my opinion.

Howard, I'll be buying a few tickets myself now that I know about this fundraiser. Fredrick Remmington had a studio here in Ridgefield, Ct. he also passed away here. Winning this bronze will go nicely with the bronze I found in the basement of Remmington's old house. grin.gif

I had Fran send me ten tickets to sell at our next meeting which was supposed to be July 11th but has been postponed until July 18th. I am in great hopes of selling all ten that evening.

I saw the sculpture at the show at Roanoke and Fran begged so hard that I gave her my very last money I had, which just happened to be five dollars. I think she is kind of proud that she left me penniless. smirk.gif But it is for a good cause. smile.gif

Quote; IF YOU WANT TO SELL TICKETS.....post the information on this GENERAL FORUM.

Great idea 1937hd45. Who is in charge of selling the tickets? I just happen to run into someone at two meets that were selling them.

I met Glen's wife at the Founders Tour but know very little regarding Glen.

Have a good weekend.

I will try to answer some of these comments but I need to get unloaded (just came in from the Warren Meet and left at 5:30 this morning).

First of all, the car has never been offered for sale before. It has been in the library collection and was a donation many years ago. The Library has neither the funds nor the time to restore it. The proceeds will be very useful to the library for operational expenses and to upgrade their services.

The Library has not recieved vehicle donations in a long time and therefore does not sell vehicles on a regular basis. The selling of the Paige, Martin and other items on EBay are new to the board's operation. This was basically done due to need and since the items were not doing anyone any good in storage.

I too have bought a lot of tickets (not as many as some) but would keep the fabulous sculpture and donate back to the library upon my passing. It is an incredible piece and for those of us that really love brass cars, it is a must have!

Tickets are available by calling Kim at the library and we have posted this before. The website is due to change in the next few days and I am not sure we have the ability to do anything special with a post but it is a good idea for the future. Our web people are overloaded now getting the kinks out of the new site.

Donations to the library and especially to the endowment fund mean a lot. If we coul double the size of the current endowment, we would have a much better chance to live off of the interest. Please consider our library when deciding on your charitable contributions.

I will not endeavor to speak for the museum but I believe in their mission and hope that we can all find ways to support this cause. They are working on their website and I will pass this thread along.

BTW, Warren was a great meet with many unusual cars!

Guest imported_Bookreader

Hi, John and I also just arrived home from the fabulous meet in Warren, Ohio. I must say that we did pretty good with the sculpture sales there. 46 tickets sold at $5.00 each. You do the math. But it took from 9 AM until 4:30 PM to sell that amount.

I will work tomorrow or Tuesday to get the sculpture information on the forum for you.

Please do support this raffle.

The sculpture does weigh about 90 pounds but John and I are positive that it is gaining weight as we take it to each event around the country. Next stop, Denver (NorthGlen Dual meet).

It is wonderful to meet AACA members as I sell these raffle tickets but don't kid yourself that I have not heard every excuse in the book as to why our members will not spend $5.00 to support the Library. So this is not an easy task.

The concept of the AACA Library and Research Center should be viewed not only as a viable source of information for research for authentification BUT to have a repository for the valuable information of the automobile industry. There is so much I could say, have said here, and in person I sound like a recording. My husband tells me that I am searching for donations and asking for money so much that people may run from me. Well, if every member just added a bit to their dues or gave a bit each year to the AACA Library; I could vanish from view, gladly.

We need the income. We are a separate organization. We are one of three organizations of AACA. I have the dubious title of chairman of the Fundraising Committee.It is a responsible task that I take seriously.

If each one of the forum readers would write to Kim Miller at the Library and send her a check for a nice amount of the sculpture tickets; she will send you back the end of the ticket and deposit the stub into our big drum.

The sculpture has an appraised value of $5000.00.

We have only one full time Librarian, one and a half time staff members on our payroll. We have operational expenses as all have.

Until I can get help to move our Library website information about the sculpture onto this forum; go to the site.

To those of you who have supported this raffle so well, we thank you. To those who are always "there" for our Library and Research Center, we thank you. To those of you who will keep us in your thoughts as you write checks throughout the year; we thank you.

This is long enough; but let me also tell you we have a grant from "Collector's Fund" that will double your donations made to that fund. So for your $10.00; yep! it becomes $20.00 Or more----.

Thanks for listening. I can be reached by private mail here or openly at shoreinmedia@aol.com Fran Shore