Sign in to follow this  
Steve Moskowitz

World's Rarest Vehicle?

Looks like a tame Ed Roth creation.That vehicle needs a surf board on the roof! Do you think it will be restored or Hot Rodded? smile.gif

Why is the museum selling it? It looks like it doesn't take up much space.

Perfect for a true "FINKSTER", but not practical. I LOVE IT! Did'nt meet the reserve last time at over $40,000!

There are other "one-of" driveables out there, yet not for sale.

Example: THe AMC "Cowboy", a 70's Hornet-nosed answer to the ElCamino. The most stylish pick-up/car I've seen, detailed with green/white body.

The designer's nephew inherited it with the condition of never letting it go outside the family. He lives in Neb? I saw it at the 100th anniversary Kenosha transportation show in 2003.

What's your favorite "Rarest car in the world"?

Thanx 4 posting a photo of the Cowboy!

Loooks like a Kansas plate.

Love amphicars, too! Just missed one for sale @10 years back, have'nt seen one since.

Our Reattae are'nt the rarest, but my 1991 Reatta is among the rare set, 196 hit the road, with only 150 sold to the public, making it one of the rarest lines built since the 1959 ElDorado convertible (101 cars), another favorite of mine.

I respectfully suggest you go back and reread Steve Moskowitz's post. He said Library and Research center <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> the AACA Museum, Inc. There is a big difference between the two entities and they should not be confused.

hvs

Great point Howard! I for one am very carefull to read were AACA funding dollars are going. I hope there is never any joint funding or masking of the direction of funds.

For one, you as a general AACA member don't get to vote on board members. In my opinion, it is a "business" of it's own, that uses the AACA name, can not be truly held accountable by the AACA membership.

The idea was great, but I don't like the way the orginaztional structure was setup or the way some of the fund raising was handled. But there again, it is my opinion. The admission for AACA members is the same as Senior Citizens, a whoopping $1 off regular admission. I personaly think after the AACA membership poured money into that place, we deserve better than that.

I'll put my soapbox away so I don't get this thread deleted because of my feelings for the museum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For one, you as a general AACA member don't get to vote on board members. In my opinion, it is a "business" of it's own, that uses the AACA name, can not be truly held accountable by the AACA membership. </div></div>

Interesting, that explains why it has an odd feel to it. Do actual "car people" run this?

If you notice, you can go to the AACA home page and click on the 2005 officers then click contact infromation for officers to get the board members. go to the library's home page and there is a link to thier officers/board members. Got the museum site and none of that infromation is there. Guess we aren't privelged enough to get to know who the officers are.

Point taken, but I must say that if it says "AACA" on it, it's all one and the same to most people. It's too confusing & too much trouble to try to keep track of who's running what. Do you think the average AACA member knows the difference between the museum & the research center? Or cares what the difference is for that matter?

Keep the soapbox out David and we can both get up on it.

OK Choc, here goes.

The Museum is supposed to be a profit making enterprize, although it isn't turning out that way. There are those who will tell you that it will be sometime sooner or later, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't you hold yours.

One thing standing in the way of breaking even is debt service and personnel overhead. Heat, light, insurance and property taxes are to be expected. The number of employees makes one wonder. The demand for current funds makes it almost impossible to build an endowment to secure the future of the enterprise. Somewhere along the line someone missed the lesson about walking before you can run.

The Library and Research center is a repository of reference materials relating to the automobile, as well as being a reference source for members and the general public. It must charge for it's services and depend on donations to survive. It receives a small stipend from the AACA annually which MIGHT cover part of the heat and light. It sure didn't cover the new roof, emergency donations did.

Many of the Library Board members bust their butts working for the Library on their own time and without a dime of compensation. Who is physically busting their butt over at the Museum?

As David said, we get to vote for the Library leadership and they are answerable to we the members. The Museum Board is a self perpetuating oligarchy answerable only to themselves. Perhaps if they were answerable to some outside entity they might run a tighter ship.

And that is one man's personal observations in answer to your question, Choc.

HVS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is for the Amphicar guy, it may be old hat but I just ran across this link on Prewar Car about Herr Trippel the man behind the Amphicar design. </div></div>

Stude8 - That was done by one of Hans' personal friends in Germany. He had quite the storied life. His passion for amphibious vehicles all started in 1932 after a smart alek remark about his race car designs.

John Bevins

HVS, there are many, many obvious questions. Like all the common names on both boards, like more employees with managers that should be self managing,like buddys hiring buddys, like having a fund raiser and not telling anyone,but I won't ask them.

Choc, I just attached this to your post as it isn't directed at no one in particular.

At the Founders Tour closing banquet Don B from the library board gave a little speech regarding the library and its many useful documents that may be needed when restoring a certain vehicle, etc. He also stated that it typically runs in the red each year on the average of 20K. Assuming that is true who makes up the shortage?

The library and museum workers / volunteers do an excellent job with little compensation (if any) and credit. Just imagine if 60,000 AACA members would give $5 to each organization every year. That would allow them approximately an additional $300,000 in the kitty per year.

Whomever wins the Glen Neigh brass sculpture lets give it back to the library for display or to national to possibly make a library annual national award.

Ron ~ No offense meant, but perhaps some of us have bought tickets on the sculpture because we sincerely want that sculpture for our collection. I know that is why I have bought more than one ticket, or several each time I am where the sculpture is displayed. Fran Shore will be visiting here at my home before the Denver Meets in a few weeks, and I imagine I will buy a few more tickets then. I am not buying all of these tickets to enhance my chances of winning so I can give it away. I really like that piece of artwork and am helping the Library by buying a bunch of tickets. I know of someone else buying tickets like I am because that person also wants the sculpture.

I sincerely hope that there is not a campaign to put pressure on the winner to give back the sculpture. That would be unfair and unfortunate. It is always easy to recommend giving away someone else's money or posessions.

So, I am stating here unequivocally, that should I win the sculpture I <span style="font-weight: bold">WILL NOT GIVE IT BACK.</span> Think what you want of my position, but it is my right and I should not be coerced into doing otherwise and neither should any other potential winner. Now if someone has bought chances for no reason other than to help the Library and has no interest in the piece of art, then <span style="font-weight: bold">THEY</span> may wish to give it back. But giving it back does not help the Library financially because the LRC would not go out and raffle it again or offer it for sale. If the winner really wants to help the Library, then let them make a substantial cash donation and enjoy both their own generosity and the sculpture.

Having said all of that, should we win the raffle, Judy and I would leave the sculpture to the Library when we die.

As for how does the LRC make up its annual defecit? They get contributions as I have done every time I hear they are short of $, and they sell off donated cars which really have no place in the library's collection. It is a library, not a car meusem. Having said that, there are a few special pieces that will always remain in the lobby such as Benny Bootle's Old Blue, in appreciation of Benny's generosity to the Library from its inception.

If any of those cars are considered worthy of a place in the Museum, then let the Museum buy them at a fair price, or bid on them at auction. We should never expect the Library to <span style="font-weight: bold">GIVE</span> any cars to the Museum.

HVS

Ron, Glen Neidigh was a great guy and we all miss him, could you give us some more info on the sculpture.

Bob,

Just go to the Library's site on the AACA home page. Click on News and there's information an a photo of it.

Howard, No offense taken and I wish all good luck who bought tickets. Fran and I were discussing the sculpture at the Founders Tour and she indicated to me that others had the same idea and thought it was a good one.

This certainly is not a campaign to take away anyone's processions by any means, or a recommendation on how to spend someone else money as you suggested, just a casual comment that really didn't warrant a to lengthy response. I will give it to the LRC if I win and don't expect anyone to be swayed by my actions, though it sounds like I should buy some more tickets. smirk.gif

I never knew the LRC received that many vehicles in a years time and they actually sold them to make up the deficit. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other even if they were to give them to the AACA museum, but with all business things need to be kept separate I'm sure.

I too do my fair share however more so to the museum side, though small compared to some but better then most. Hopefully their endowment fund will become large enough someday be self sustaining.

1937, It is a beautiful sculpture that is a bit on the heavy side (85 pounds I think?) and has lots of great detail. As Rick said check it out on the Library's site.

Have a good weekend!

Ron, Maybe I took the wrong approach and was too subtile when I asked about the Glen Neidigh fund raiser. IF YOU WANT TO SELL TICKETS.....post the information on this GENERAL FORUM. Great piece of art work, and it should be on top of the flashing lights on the left side of this page. Some history about Glen, for those that didn't get to have him as a friend and some info on the artist would go a long ways in raising funds. But that is just my opinion.

Howard, I'll be buying a few tickets myself now that I know about this fundraiser. Fredrick Remmington had a studio here in Ridgefield, Ct. he also passed away here. Winning this bronze will go nicely with the bronze I found in the basement of Remmington's old house. grin.gif