loose plastic trim / top of dash

steve90

On my 1990, the plastic trim piece on top of the dash (next to the windshield)is loose. It <BR>appears that the clip holding down the right side is missing or broken. Consequently, there is a annoying rattle. How do I safely remove this piece to inspect???. If the clip is broken, I may have to inprovise something, perhaps a piece of velcro, to hold it in place. Thanks!

This type of locking tab is prevalent throughout our cars. The entire dash is done that way. If that dash cover has ever been removed, the odds are better than even that at least one tab is broken. I had the same problem when I bought mine. I carefully pryed the cover straight up in the tab areas and found three of them broken. I found a '87 Riviera at the junk yard (gray). I carefully removed it and got it with all tabs intact. I painted it with the "saddle" colored vinyl paint from the auto parts store and installed it. It is an exact match and looks brand new. I did this two years ago and it still looks new.<BR>Good Luck!

Guest wally888

If we are talking about the same plastic piece(mine 89 and has plastic defroster piece about 2" x 24" w/ defroster outlets built in??<BR> The manual says to lift straight up and once removed there are 3 screws holding big dash top.Talked to one person that tried but broke.<BR> I have tried w/ wires looped under piece in several places,pulling wires and prying up w/ screwdriver to no avail.<BR> Wish I knew exactly what clamps look like and their exact location?

Guest wally888

After much trial and error I managed to remove the defroster grille and top dash pad<BR>w/o breaking either.Am writing instructions w/ exact measurements re. how to locate tabs and fasteners and how to make two simple tools to guarantee success But I need help in identifying the 3 sensors located under dash pad.<BR> There are 2 located on a bracket,side by side,accessable after grille is removed and another bolted to bottom of dash pad(not accessable until dash pad is removed)<BR> My manual is missing pages that refer to these(as w/ relays) and one page identifies sun load sensor as one on left on bracket when facing windshield but one bolted to dash has GM part # the same as sun load sensor.I suspect one is twilight sensor but(another question) what function does it have,why it there, if I have no Twilight Switch?<BR> The one bolted to dash pad is installed in a hollow tube suggesting it senses air temp?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest llaramie

I have a fix for you. My dash rattled same place as yours. I had at least 1 plastic clip broken in that area. I guessed, and was right, that if I pulled the glove box, I might have access to the area in question. 7 torx/hex screws hold the glove box in place. 2 on each side, 2 on top and 3 on the bottom. The box pulls out easily, with some slack for the wires for fuel-door and trunk release. The underside of the right front dash has a tab that I was able to snag, from above, in a loop created from ribbed plastic-tie (1/4"x & 7"). I lengthened the tie with another and then another (3 in all), and pulled it all through frome underside/glove-box area. Then I pulled the tie through the large hole which receives the rubber nipple/damper from the glove box. In re-inserting the glove box I tugged on the plastic tie and re-tightened all the screws.<BR>I then snipped most of the excess from plastic-tie. (Leaving some for the next mechanic, I explain this to). The glove box looks fine, and the front dash doesnt rattle any more. <P>PS: Dealer says the Riviera part is available for $99, but you have to paint. He thinks the part is not the same as Reatta's, because the part Numbers are different.

Guest wally888

If anyone is contemplating removing the defroster grille and dash pad and is in no hurry,soon there will be detailed instructions at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net/</A> <BR> It is very easy to break the grille and dash pad! I have owned 3 R's and all had 1/2 moon shaped cracks (bout 1 in. long) just in front of steering wheel. After removal I identified this area to be location of one of the fasteners. A bind??.The grille I removed was impossible,I looped 4 insulated wires thru the vent openings near one end and pulled HARD while using screwdriver to pry edge up. Didn't budge! Have all removed at present,will look at pad fasteners and report about breakage here!

Wally:<P>The twilight sensor sends an input to determine whether to dim the dash lights when you turn on the vehicle lights. In daytime driving you don't want the dash lights to dim.<P>Alan.<BR>

Strangely enough, I just looked at mine real good and found that I have the EXACT same broken clip in the EXACT same area as Steve and Rong. What gives here?<P>Anyway, I read somewhere in my manual that the Reatta is also supposed to have a Twilight Sensor that will automatically turn on the fog lights if the headlamps are off. Is this true? Suspiciously enough, I lost the page (thanks to my so-called friend) and can't find it anymore, but it's somewhere near the section that details the IPC.<P>Thanks for any help.