Sign in to follow this  

Sensors sensors everywhere............

O.K. For those of you who don't know about my nightmare (From which I have yet to awaken!) I'm about to fill you in.<P>Two weeks ago last Wednesday, my car got rained in. Two days latter on Friday, my car stalled for no apparent reason. It continued over the course of the weekend, then stopped on Monday.<P>Like an idiot I figured it was just moisture, and was glad that my baby was running smooth again.<P>That Saturday, it conked out again. This time (I was in a Parking Lot) I put it in drive, took my foot off the gas, and just let it putter along. It died. mad.gif<P>The next day was worse. It acted funny all day, then that evening died on me in the middle of trafic! But before it died, it sputtered like crazy. I managed to pull into an apartment complex, but it took about fifteen minutes to get it started! And even then, it sputtered all the way home!<P>The next morning (Monday) I took it to the shop. It did'nt do a damn thing. Ran like a charm. They hooked up thier diagnostic equipment, but nothing showed up! Thankfully, the guy did'nt charge me, but he did say he thought it was a "Crank Sensor".<P>Tuesday afternoon, got my car and drove it. No stalls, no sputter, nothing! Drove it to work, no problems. Wednesday evening, driving to work singing like a bird, Car dies.<P>Thursday morning, took car to local Buick shop for diagnostic. The car ran like a charm. They hooked up all their tubes and wires, but the car would not stall! I went to pick it up, (And pay them their &60.00) But first told the guy at the counter to come with me.<P>We found my car and started it. We stood there talking and sure enough, two minutes later the car dies! A scrawny mechanic comes over and begins checking this and that. Then tells me, the soonest we could get to it would be Monday! I'm like DAMN! I'm allready into you guys for $60.00 for not doing anything, now I have to leave my car here for at least three days, and fork over more money.<P>I went to the Chrysler Dept. (Other side of the car lot) and found my Childhood friend. (Who is now a mechanic) Went out and bought a Crank Sensor, and a Cam Sensor on his advice. Both installed, car ran O.K. Saturday night.<P>Sunday, back to square one. So now I have purchased an Oxegen Sensor. If this is'nt it, I'm going to scream. If nothing else, my car has new parts that I probably would have needed anyway.<P><BR>

If you checked the condition of the ignition module, I assume you found nothing odd looking. This is a long shot, but check the condition,(tightness), of the ground connection under the ignition module mount. The ground cable has a triple connection, one to the chassis, one to the ground buss for the instrument panel and one to the engine. The engine will die if this connection is not made, although it should show up as a starting problem. Has anyone checked your fuel pressure? If it drops into the 20 lb. range the engine will not run. Ignition module/coil pack, bad ground and fuel pressure will not set any codes. This sounds a lot like the problem Paul Taylor experienced, and his was fuel pressure, or rather, the lack of it. The fuel pump had been replaced but the pulsator above the fuel pump was allowing fuel back into the tank, not pressurizing the fuel rail properly.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

2Seater, thanks for reply. I'm begining (And so is my mechanic) to belive that it is fuel pressure. I've got the recipt from the previos owner on the one she bought. Here's the lowdown.<P>She took it to a Pep Boys in Dayton, OH for diagnostic work. The recipt says "Owner claims engine failure after filling up with gas" All the systems were checked and came back O.K. The recomendation was a Fuel Pump, which she purchased that same day. (Got the recipt for that too)<P>I've bought, or considerd every type of sensor you can imagine. Finnaly, a pimple faced kid at Auto Zone said something that made perfect sense. "If your car is'nt pulling up any codes, it can't be a bad sensor." (Where the hell was he last weekend when I bought three of them!)<P>I've got an appointment at 6:00 tomorow, hopefully the fuel pressure theory is the right one. Thanks again!

If it is fuel pressure and the pump has been replaced, I would suspect the pulsator. Replace it with a piece of fuel injection hose. I did the same thing with the one on my Taurus winter car.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

You might want to replace the fuel filter also not very hard and it is an overlooked filter on cars but very, very important.<P><BR>Matt Wolfe<P>------------------<BR>If your not living on the edge your taking up too much space.<p>[This message has been edited by Mawolfe (edited 08-22-2000).]

DARRIN I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THE IS A POLUTION CONTROL VALUE NEVER THE TOP OF THE INTAKE PLHEUNM. IF THIS IS WORN OUT IT CAUSES THE CAR TO STALL ONLY WHEN WARM.<BR>I DON,T RECALL THE EXACT NAME OR LOCATION THIS HAPPENED 4 YEARS AGO.

i had the same problem, my air flow sensor was replaced, my ignition controller, and i have had the main computer replaced, problem is still not fixed. i am currently having the fuel injectors cleaned.