Repairs allowed for HPOF

After I get my red Amphicar to the show in Denver (7/30) I want to be able to speak with a judge or somebody who can tell me exactly what (or how much) I can repair or replace and still keep it considered original. Is this possible? If not, who or where can I go to find out? The manual says nothing about this and I have yet to get a clear answer from anyone.

So far I have only been cleaning it up and repairing mechanical components. No paint or aestetics have been repaired yet. I am into preservation rather than restoration when practical.

Here she is so far...

Rside_cleaned.jpg

John, in case our experts are out traveling for the 4th I will attempt to answer. The rules refer to preservation of original features. If part of the car is not 100% original that is not a problem. For instance, if the interior is all original and you had to do some paintwork on the body, you still would most likely qualify. If you have a specific set of questions please email me and I will make sure someone form our HPOF team gets you an answer. Of course, our HPOF judges in Denver will be happy to give you some guidance.

Thanks Steve!

The car has a few scratches and such I would like to repair, plus the engine cover needs repainted completely. Is there a specific percentage of paint that has to remain?

The white rubber side moldings need replaced. I have NOS replacements, so I think it would suffice. I don't know for certain.

I wonder about things like repainting the air cleaner and a couple of other small parts to clean it up before the show. I don't want to do anything before I know for certain.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, I wanted to get you an answer from the committee and have forwarded this link to the chairman. He is due to stop by here so hopefully if he does not open his computer I can talk to him. </div></div>

Thanks Steve! It would be most helpful!

John

Luther called me the other night. He was very helpful. Once I get a chance to listen to the judges and attend the show,I'll have some better ideas on what I can do. I will post what I find out for the rest of us. The information on this is vague at best. I hope that I can find something in print that is more specific.

Luther mentioned a figure of 65% original to be considered HPOF, seems very low to me. I would have speculated that < 85%-90% would be a better number (in my opinion). Don't take my word, let me get the facts from the judges so I can have accurate info on the subject.

John Bevins