Wrecked 2 Buicks this evening

Bill Stoneberg

Had a scarey situation tonight that ended up damiging 2 out of the 4 Buicks that I own. I got the 47 out of the garage to start cleaning and getting it ready to go to Batavia. I parked it on the driveway like I always do in reverse (I Think). Anyway it came out of gear as I closed the door. Before I could do anything, it was rolling and I was trying to get the hell out of the way.

It finally came to stop with me being the meat of a Buick Sandwich. Trashed the front fender on the 47 and the passenger front door of the 88. My butt probably did the job on the front fender as I ended up sitting on the car. The neighbors who were outside had to come push the car forward as I was trapped pretty good. I had my cell in my pocket and I was about to call 911 when they came outside.

Now I have a swollen knee and 2 cars that need repair. I was lucky I was not hurt more as the potential was there to break things besides cars.

So when you see the 47 up in Batavia, you now know what happened. I wish I know how it jumped or slipped out of gear though.

Feeling lucky but stupid.

Bill

Guest imported_MrEarl

Bill first off, thank God you're OK. So sorry to hear of the body (both yours and the Buicks) damage. Sounds like something out of a horror movie or something. Again, glad you're OK!!

Bill, glad to hear that you and the Buick are still mostly intact and able to make the trek to Batavia. I'm thankful that this was not more serious, and I can imagine that this was more than a little scarey at the time.

Reminds me of an old story related to me by one of the former office workers at Mt. Baker Motors, a long defunct Buick dealership in Bellingham, Washington. One of the mechanics was working under the hood of a '55 Buick in the dealership service area. The Buick's engine was running, and the Buick somehow slipped out of park. The mechanic was pinned between the concrete wall and the Buick. He was saved by the bumper bombs on the front of the Buick, which gave just another space between the wall and the rest of the Buick to prevent his legs from being crushed.

Bill, Glad you're ok. This story could start a whole series of stories related to the safety of owning an old Buick. Like, for instance, don't ever let your 4 year old son pretend to drive your Buick when it is running. I did that one time with a nephew about that age. I had my 1963 Invicta station wagon parked in the driveway facing my 1966 Widlcat GS with about 3 feet between the car's front bumpers. I had started the wagon just because I hadn't started it in a few days and my nephew was very interested in what I was doing. I got in the front seat with him and showed him how to operate the power windows, turn on the turn signals, change the station on the radio, you know, fun kid stuff. But I told him to NEVER, NEVER, touch the gear shift. He was having so much fun. I got out of the car to fetch some cleaning utensils and just as I closed the door he grabbed the gear shift handle and slammed it into gear. Lucky for me, he skipped past Drive and went straight into neutral (Dynaflow). The wagon simply rolled slowly forward until it reached the front bumber of the Wildcat. No damage done, but what a wakeup call! I learned a valuable lesson that day without doing any damage. Don't tell my wife about this.

Roy

Bill , glad your ok as it could have been worse, big time. I got in the habit of putting the emergency brake on and putting the car in gear, as I have had a few close mishaps.

We all get a little lax (safety wise) after a while when working around our cars or in the shop. I had my cars bumper hit my knee as I left the jack down to fast while partially sitting under the car, with too quick of a full twist to the left. Luckily my floor was slippery and allowed the knee/leg to be pushed out of the way. Layed up for a few days though with nothing crushed.

Guest 53Nailhead

Bill, good to hear no major damage done to all parties involved, someones looking after you. Glad you'll still make Batavia, with another Buick tale.

Bill, glad you are ok, what an experience though! My brother had his '70 Wildcat convt on ramps in his driveway, thought he had it park got out, and the car was in reverse, the door was open hit a tree and the car ended up across the street backed into a house, the house had some siding damage, but that was it. At my job, safety is our priority, and we try to get everyone to take 2(min) and think about what they are going to do next, I find myself trying to do that with everything I do, from walking out of the house, 2 steps to backing out of the driveway, thinking about how long to wait for oncoming cars, etc. I've had many disasters, myself hitting my own vehicles, and it's very disturbing, but the cars can be fixed! See you next week, have a great safe trip!

Hey Bill

The good news is that you are OK (probably sore today), the bad news is of course the damage to the cars and the fact that the neighbors will sell the video to some reality/funniest videos show.

You should know that judging in the Modified class does not give extra points for "customized by crunch"

Looking forward to seeing you in Batavia and maybe on the road so we can eat, drink and tell lies in a hopefully excellent restuarant.

Willie

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. No, the car will not be able to be buffed out as its going to take some panel beating (to use the english term, it fits here) to make it look good again.

Yes Willie, I am sore today and the knee is the size of a grapefruit, but I thank God, I wasn't hurt more. As I thought about it last night laying in bed I should have stood still and let the car go where it wanted to instead of trying to stop it. But hindsite is always 20/20. I also could have broken bones or worse, so I am lucky.

Ron, Its funny, I always chock the wheels in my driveway for just this eventuality. I wasn't ready to work on the car, I was going to drive it first so I was just getting out to close the garage door. I didn't even have time to think about anything it happend so quick. I know one thing, my parking brake is not the best in the world, so I dont use it. That is going to change soon.

Willie, you know I can find the good restaurants. I didn't get so fat by eating poorly. By the way, do you all realize how hard it is for a fat boy to work on a fat fendered car ? Sometimes I cant reach the parts I need too. I have to stand on something. At least the dent in the one fender makes it easier now.

The car is runnig good and its ready to go to Batavia. If we and the car can survive the heat, we will see you all there.