Hot Nailhead

kilkm

I finally got around to installing a set of gauges in my '62 Electra with a 401 4V engine. As I suspected this motor is running hot when idling in traffic. Cruising down the highway it's reading about 190 degrees, which I assume is about right. The problem occurs at idle. After taking it for a ride I let it idle in the driveway for about 15 minutes and watched the temp gauge go clear up to 230 degrees before I shut it down. It was and extremely hot day, about 95 degrees and the car was sitting in the sun idling. I had just changed the oil (10W 30) and flushed the cooling system. Instead of a 50/50 water anti freeze mix, I used a product called "water wetter", distilled water and about 1/2 gallon of anti freeze. This product is suppose to make your engine run up to 20 degrees cooler. I used this same combo in my 95 Le Sabre work car and it does run a little cooler than it used to so I am assuming thats not the problem. I also have a 7 blade clutch fan on this engine to provide additional cooling. I checked cooling system to make sure I had got it refilled properly and that was not the problem. Thinking about replacing or just removing the thermostat and see what it does. Anyone have temp gauge on a 401? Wondering what normal operating temp is at idle and at cruising speed. I do use this car in parades and demo's that require extended idling in summer conditions. Also take it on road trips of several hundred miles. Like to hear any ideas or comments on this matter.

Removing the thermostat isn't the best thing to do, you might want to replace it instead...

From my experience, 401 engines aren't as prone to overheating as the newer 430-455 engines are. My 65 Wildcat doesn't have A/C but it never overheats. Even with the old radiator, it ran fine but I had to replace it because it was leaking.

I'd first look at the fan clutch to be sure it operates properly and at the radiator to see if it has deposits inside it that would reduce the heat transfer. If it does, having it recored would probably help.

Have you tried to turn on the heater to full heat with blower fan to high speed when it overheats?

Ignition timing could also affect the operating temperature.

Guest wildcat65401

Hi,

My 63' Riv will get up to about 230 in the sun at idle stuck in traffic . Its no fun . I have no fan shroud [spelling??] so that doesn't help. If I pop it into neutral or park it idles a little faster and that helps cool it down. Everything you said is more or less what happens to my car too.

Paul.

I had a lot of trouble with my 65 with the little 300 and no A/C. I got stuck in traffic several times where the engine overheated. Only thing that I could do is run it in neutral with the heater on full blast. I finally took the radiator in. It was 30% blocked, had it recored with 3 rows with the original top and bottom. No trouble now.