Buy/Sell Forum Rules - PLEASE READ!

Peter Gariepy

Ah come on Mr Earl no one is trying to socialize you.

But to the point once again, my suggestions are simple. For those who want to run an auction on their supply of items, do so on ebay. For those who want to sell your occasional hobby and enthusiasts items to fellow members do so with a stated price as per the forum rules on this site. If someone is habitual in listing ebay items on this site then setup a forum for that purpose.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees

David,

Post #38 hits on a problem point. This may very well be a site for hobbyists, but there is a wide range of folks with a wide range of reasons for joining the hobby and a wide range of reasons for joining this site. If you want to come in here and figure you know better than the AACA and its moderators, then go crazy, but don't expect everyone here to be all happy for you.

That said, I don't care for postings that are here as just a link to eBay. However, I have a wide variety of cars and if I trolled eBay and Craigslist for stuff I may need, then I wouldn't have time to participate here any more.

As MrEarl suggested, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...and while it may be somewhat broken, it probably isn't that bad.

Personally, I have a much bigger problem with subjects that aren't descriptive. "Buick Parts" listed for sale in the Buick Buy / Sell forum is kind of stupid. At least put in a year, and better yet a part as well...that way we'll know whether or not it is something that may be of interest. I find that a bigger time waster than someone who has something I want / need who just happens to list it on eBay as well.

Another thing is that this site isn't the be all and end all for Buick parts. There are probably more Buick folks not on this site than on this site...consider that there are many other boards covering specific years / models / eras of Buick, so not everyone is going to post here, but if they have stuff for sale, why shouldn't they be allowed to list it here, with or without a link to another sale site?

Postal money orders are good for many things, but they aren't nearly as timely as Paypal.

If you don't want it / like it / whatever, don't click it.

On top of that, your proposal would also add significantly to the amount of moderator work that would be required in this sub-forum which presently isn't required now.

Sorry for seeming obstinate. I have nothing against you nor your idea. I think it is overkill for a relatively minor problem here. I'm also with MrEarl on the idea that the more restrictive the rules get, the more frustrated folks will get, and will ultimately leave the site, making it less useful to those that remain.

I buy parts from any source available and don't see a problem if someone directs me to his ebay listings - I'm only going to buy if I need the item.

I've advertised parts for sale a couple of times on this forum but in the main have responded to someones wanted to buy advert.

I don't hesitate to put in a link to an item for sale on ebay if there has been discussion or someone chasing a particular part, haven't done it with any of my items but I don't really sell car parts on ebay. If I did I would do exactly as Mr Earl has in the past and offer a discount to forum members - you can't be fairer than that!!

This is the forum I go to when I need a part. I have always had responses to my parts wanted adverts and have always found the transactions to be first rate. This is not available with ebay - you just have to " trawl " continuously in the hope someone will advertise a part you require.

My view " if it aint broke don't fix it " and this system works just fine. As Derek said - nobody is forcing anyone to place a bid on ebay but I find it helpful if I am directed to it via this forum.

• Like 1

All good, interesting and valid points of view and perspectives about the site and passionate responses to my myriad posting.

Well, this was my written suggestion, and as suggestions go I quess you get the grease with the bone. So Amen to all that. This site still remains the best. IMO.

(oops sorry, there I go again giving another opinion):rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Guest pauliem

1990 buick reatta conv. red with tan int. tan top $13000. vary clean no rust or body work ever new tires & A/C top is two yrs. old 80k miles runs drives great.in Naples Fl. call Paul 239-248-6054 or Email miraldi@embarqmail.com I will be happy to Email pictures

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pauliem

I don`t know, I guess you have to be A geek to understand this site. one of the other guy`s trided to help me but had A problem too, sorry I can`t help.:confused:

• 1 year later...