Sign in to follow this  
EMF-Owner

1912 Rauch & Lang Info needed

Hello all,

I recently purchaced a 1912 Rauch & Lang Electric car as pictured in the attachment (If the picture attached correctly). I have dreamed of a car like this since my childhood. My wife and I are very excited to have added this to our collection of automobiles.

I am now trying to locate information on some of the missing pieces so I can start looking for them. If anyone out there has access to a 1912 Rauch & Lang, I would love to be able to get clear detailed photos of the following parts: The cowl lights, The Tail light (I have seen no pictures of the back of a Rauch & Lang showing a tail light), and the Volt/Amp meter. What I really need for each of these are good pictures and any details that are available. For example, do the cowl lights have any manufacturer markings on them? What about the Volt/Amp meter?

I would really like to know what I am looking for before I go to Hershey in October.

Any and all help would be appriciated. I have contacted the Horsless Carriage Foundation and have also joined up with the Antique Electric Vehicle Registry, but I also wanted to tap into the vast wealth of knowledge here.

If you have any of the items I have described above, I would be interested.

Or if you know of an owner of a car like this who would not mind a call from me, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for looking.

John M. Daly

Here I have attached the best photo I have at this time of the Volt/Amp meter? Can anyone provide a better one showing any markings on it that I can use to identify it?

Please help!

John

And here is the best photo I have of the cowl lights. Anyone know if there are any identifying markings I can look for?

Thanks for the help.

John

Our AACA Library and Research Center has a 1912 Rauch & Lang original catalogue and numerous ads which should show you much of what you need to know. You can view these materials for free when you come to Hershey or if you want copies of these materials, Kim Miller can arrange this for a fee. The research request is available online at this site or call her at 717-534-2082.

MGITS......That's a very interesting automobile. Can you detail some more of the history? I can't help you with the parts other than, you're starting out in the right venues.

Hello, I have R&L 1918, model B26, Can you help to find materials about this car.

Thanks

Ford model A 1930

R&L 1918

Sorry,

Now this car is in Europe and belongs to me. missing cowl lamps and clocks. Very rare model and I can not find the full information. I have long searched for the car and now I want to properly introduce American history, I do not want to make mistakes. Very well restored my Model A and Lithuania now all can admire and learn about this model. Ford Model A (1930) | Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/RauchLang1918?ref=hl

Thanks

August

post-88175-143139184211_thumb.jpg

post-88175-14313918415_thumb.jpg

post-88175-143139184155_thumb.jpg

post-88175-143139184184_thumb.jpg

August, there is a restored 1918 Rauch and Lang Brougham BX-7 in the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Salisbury, NC, USA.

John, I do not see your photos, and do not know how much difference there is in the 1918 and your 1912, or if this would be of help to you.

post-53030-143139184475_thumb.jpg

post-53030-143139184472_thumb.jpg

Hi August,,,,The clock base is that of a Waltham 8day movement,,,,

I am not sure if I sold one last year,,,I will look in my pet hiding spots,,

The clock case will only fit this mount,,

Cheers,,Ben

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

Hello,

I am grateful for the letter. Let's see maybe there is. Maybe you have more parts in the user manual, cowl lamps?

Regards

August

Here is a photo I took around 1960 of a Rauch and Lang in the storage building of the original owner alongside the Buick that replaced it. He said the R&L was a 1908, but I believe it was a little later.

Don

post-36901-143139186802_thumb.jpg

John,

Our museum has a Rauch & Lang brougham that was displayed in the Princeton Auto Museum as a 1912 model. However, I suspect it may be a 1913 or 1914 (and would love help figuring this out). Regardless, I will take some photos for you (including a better close-up of the volt meter) although it might be a a few days before I can get to it.

Galen Handy would also be a good person to contact about your need for photos: handyg AT earthlink.net

post-58418-143139201245_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143139201275_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143139201284_thumb.jpg

Everything but the paint, tires and batteries appear to be original to the car. The cowl lights were made by White Mfg. Co. of Bridgeport, CT. Let me know if you need more photos.

post-58418-143139203474_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143139203456_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143139203467_thumb.jpg

Nancy,

Looks like someone reactivated a thread I started 7 years ago. Since then I have found all the parts I was looking for concerning this car. But thank you so much for posting the pictures you have taken. I think it will go far in helping other Rauch & Lang owners who find this thread through a Google search.

Here is a picture of our 1912 Rauch & Lang Brougham today, unrestored, with original Motz Cushion rubber tires.

post-30782-143139203587_thumb.jpg

Edited by EMF-Owner
Spelling error (see edit history)

In 1976, I purchased from an estate a 1909 Detroit Electric, It had EVERYTHING including the charger, except the taillight. I was the 2nd owner!! I researched the taillight & went to Hershey the next year and slogged through 50 some acres in the rain & mud. I used trash bags for raingear and shoe covers. I was getting discouraged when I came upon a table with nothing but tail lamps. And there it was! my missing taillight. The seller watched me as I picked up several items then wandered down the row to some more tables. I came back and randomly picked through the pile some more, picking up the lamp I wanted and asked, "how much do you want for this one?" He asked me what it went to, but I just re-asked how much? $10 and it was mine! He then again asked what it went to (I wasn't fooling him any). I told him. He groaned and indicted that he could have got a lot more money for the lamp. Yep, I thought as I walked away with my prize. Point being, know exactly what you seek before getting to the flea market.

I saw my Detroit Electric in Loganville, GA not long ago. It's originality had been butchered, the charger given to some museum, the solid tires were gone. I made an offer, but am thankful it was refused. At least my scrapbook was still with the car.

Hello, maybe you know how works and looks contacts who are in foot brake box (movable contact).Thankspost-88175-14313927424_thumb.jpg

post-88175-143139273979_thumb.jpg

post-88175-143139273983_thumb.jpg

post-88175-143139273986_thumb.jpg