Potential purchaser

I have recently become interested in purchasing a Reatta. I would intend to use it on a daily basis. My concern is that with a decade old car that is no longer in production am I going to be scrambling around junk yards trying to get parts. Basically, am I in for a reliable ride (most of the cars I see have 100000 k's) or are these cars not for the faint of heart?

Just my opinion, you understand, but I feel these cars (maintenance wise) are comparable to any Honda or Toyota you have out there to this day. Typically, if kept in good mechanical shape, driven regularly (not too much, and not too little), and the fluids are changed properly and regularly, they can easily get to 250k-300K miles. Don't know too many other American 6cyls that'll do that.

ACCORDING TO THE GM MECHANICS AT THE DEALERSHIP I WORK AT, THE 3.8 V-6 IS ONE OF THE MOST RELIABLE ENGINES EVER MADE. I BOUGHT MY REATTA WITH 85,OOO MILES ON IT. I TOOK IT TO A BUICK DEALER AND HAD IT COMPLETELY TUNED UP. THE CAR STARTS, RUNS, AND SOUNDS JUST LIKE A NEW ENGINE. I NOW HAVE 117,000 MILES ON IT AND IT SIMPLY WON'T QUIT. I MET ANOTHER REATTA OWNER AND HE HAS 250,000 MILES ON HIS AND IT SOUNDS LIKE NEW. MY OPINION..... I HAVE OWNED MANY USED AND NEW CARS IN MY 39 YEARS AND THIS 89 REATTA IS THE BEST CAR BY FAR. IS IT GOING TO BE DIFFICULT FINDING PARTS, ETC. IN THE FUTURE? YES. BUT IT IS WORTH IT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A REATTA. ITS FUN TO DRIVE AND LOOKS GREAT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

About the same time I bought my 90 Reatta (60K miles on it then) I also bought a new Chrysler Town and Country. The T&C was suppose to be my retirement car. Ha. It has been in the shop so many times I finally have given up and will gladly trade it in on a 01 Honda Accord. My Reatta is a daily drive, now has close to 80K miles and has been in the shop only for routine maintenance, brakes, struts, and a tune up. None of the parts were exotic or required trips to the junk yard (Good luck at finding one at the junk yard.) <BR> Like any other used car, take your time and shop wisely, most of these cars have been better maintained then the average car but I also saw some pretty ratted out ones. My one and only gripe is that I did not hold out for a convertible<P>

I second what the others have said. The engine should provide many more miles of service if cared for like it should. I have owned my 89 two years ago today and have been very pleased. I drive it daily every other week, while I have had some problems, it gets me where I'm going and in style too. I don't think you are going to have a problem with engine parts, but parts that are exclusive to the Reatta, you may have some problems finding. If you do buy one, get the shop book too! It is rather expensive, but is worth every penny. Also a lot of my problems have been solved by the good folks in this forum. Post a question and most times than not you get an answer. I have been helped so many times it gives me a lot of pleasure to return the favor when I know the answer to a question. So go ahead join us and have a fun car to drive. Be ready to answer a lot of questions when you stop for gas. Be ready to hear "That's a Buick!"