Classic Radio Service

I am in the process of restoring a 46 Ford Convertible. I am a novice, <BR>this is the first antique car I have ever owned. As part of this <BR>process, I have had to find parts and vendors. And, I have been <BR>overwhelmed by the kindness of people I have met. I have always been <BR>prepared to pay full price or more. Yet, I have received parts for <BR>free ( actually, the price was a little more..."do the same for <BR>someone else") and talked to knowledgeable folks who were willing to <BR>take their time to help me. What a great hobby!<P>But, I have one exception...Classic Radio Service. I needed to restore <BR>my radio. I did a search through Hemmings. I found Classic Radio <BR>Services's ad and checked their web site, along with many others. They <BR>were the most expensive, by almost double, but their ad copy was well <BR>written and I decided to use them. I pulled the radio, sent it to them <BR>and then received a call telling me all of the "extra charges" (all <BR>up, they were going to cost $400+ more). So, I decided to have them <BR>ship the radio back and use someone else. They were angry when I told <BR>them, charged me $60, without my authorization, to ship the radio back <BR>(maybe that included their charge for looking at the radio).<P>When the radio arrived from Classic Car Radio, there was a note.It <BR>follows. Make your own decision about these people... <P><BR>"I should have known by your tone and the fact that you inquired about <BR>a 12 volts conversion and the possibility of a FM conversion that you <BR>were a waste of time. There are multitudes of mediocre radio shops <BR>that are there for the purpose of accommodating nitwits and cheap <BR>skates like you. Unfortunately, for me, you got through my better <BR>judgement and I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt by <BR>being helpful and by assuming that you would know the difference <BR>between quality and garbage. I made no illusions in informing you of <BR>the cost of restoration and voltage conversion. Did you think that by <BR>sending your radio you could then get something for nothing? Or <BR>possibly negotiate our estimate? You have blown your access to the <BR>finest available radio service on the face of this planet thereby <BR>preventing one of the finest possible assets for your car. Perhaps you <BR>don't consider your time worth anything but you make a mistake in <BR>assuming others is as valueless as yours. Go somewhere else for free <BR>information and unexceptional service. "

dglueck,<BR> There are many radio services out there. I suspect that conversion to 12v and FM is expensive. I suggest that you send an inquiry with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to those listed in Hemmings and select based upon their response. The reply you received from Classic Radio is totally out of character for most of the folks in the collector car hobby.<P>jnp

If that letter was from the "best" anything on the planet,...I think it's time to shop in another galaxy. Regardless of what was happening to, or what was said to any vendor or service company, that behavior is both uncalled for,...and just plain foolish. They should expect this letter to be published for all to see,..and suffer the consequences which are due in such a foolish response. If that means they are run out of the business,..GOOD!<P>RS

I've been satisfied with Richard Foster in Mass. He has an 800 number, takes Mastercard and does FM conversion. The part that wonders me is the 12 volt conversion, as to the whys you want to, and the difficult and expense that this part of the job might involve. <BR> Remember if you convert your car to 12 volts you can be pretty sure of losing out to the judges; because they'll pick up the difference in the wiring instantly ... smile.gif at least I hope so. <BR>Good luck with your restoration.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 02-11-2001).]

dgluek, just be glad that you got your radio back!i sent one to a guy in dallas, tx called "the radioman" and he went out of business between the time of me shipping and him receiving.he kept my radio and wouldn't return written mail or answer his phone or e-mail.live and learn i guess.but you are right car people are the nicest people in the world.i have since sent another radio to revival radio in r.i.and the gentleman there has been most courteous and helpful. i would strongly endorse him to anyone.hang in there and good luck, blueflame in nc