we could really use some HELP!

on_canuck

Hi, my husband has purchased his long time passion, 1948 truck, state-side (we're canadian) BUT it doesn't have a title. He's stressing out so I thought I'd try to help him out. Boarder-crossing is telling us we can't bring it back without a title. DMV is telling us that we need to put full insurance on it and register it in order to get a title. Eventhough there is an engine in it, it doesn't work (along with alot in the truck but it looks 'cool' LOL). Can anyone help us out with our options to get it back home so my hubby can start "playing". Let me know if you need more info at all.... I'll be back soon. Thanks! confused.gif

There are a couple of ways to handle this. The best approach is to hire a customs broker. You should find them in the yellow pages of any large size city, especially those near a border. Then go through the details with him/her. Sometimes a detailed bill of sale is sufficient, sometimes not. The alternative would be to purchase a title from one of the title vendors that advertise them. They claim its perfectly legal, and I have done it, but truthfully have my suspicions. That would at least get you a title in your name and that should solve the problem. I would first go to the customs broker though. they know all the tricks and shortcuts to legally get the job done for you. Hope this helps. smirk.gif

Since ours was a drag car it was easy.

we did it in 2 trips

Trip one Engine and trans and tires and wheels.

Trip 2 Frame and body, (body was fiberglass so it came off easy)

I would think pull tha cab, fenders and bed off the frame would do it.

maybe the engine?

He will be removing all of those anyway.

that's true. he would be. thanks for the info. I think that may be one of the easier and less costly options.

oh and thanks for the custom broker idea too. I am going to look into that a bit but from what I've found, that may be a little more costly than what we're wanting to get into.

THANKS EVERYONE!!! if anyone else has any other info that may help us, I'll keep checking this post.

thanks again! CHEERS! grin.gif

Guest stude8

In Illinois a vehicle without an engine doesn't need a title to sell it if is older than 10 years of age. Take the engine out and then import an engine and parts vehicle seperately, problem solved unless border folks have other tricks. Stude8