Reproduction Brake Drums - Lockheed 14" as on 1930 Chrysler 77

The H H Franklin club folks are attempting to get a group together to reproduce the 14" brake drums used by the Franklins. These are 16" outer diameter (at the flange), 14" inner diameter, with approximately 2.25" shoe contact area (roughly 2" shoes). These appear to be the same drums as used on my 1930 Chrysler 77. The difference of course is in the size of the center holes and in the rivet/lug bolt patterns.

Aside from the Model 77 with wire wheels, would there be an interest in the wood wheel drums? Also what other models/years used these same drums? I assume that at some point the Chrysler 70 used them in the 1930/1931 model years. Did the Imperial? What about the 66? the 1929 75? the CJ?

The drums would be without the hubs, the original hubs would need to be riveted to them and the drums turned true at that point. I am not privy to all of their details at this time but thought I would see if enough interest existed for me to further pursue the matter on others behalf. If there is enough interest I am more than happy to spearhead the Chrysler side of things.

Bottom line for me is, I am definitely interested in at least one, maybe two sets for wire wheels, and possibly one or two sets for artillery wheels.

If others have interest or desire additional information please feel free to contact me.

Rich

I dug out a period brake manual and came up with the following possible likely candidates for using the same drums:

Chrysler:

. 1929 65 & 75

. 1930 70 & 77

. 1931 70

Dodge:

. 1928-1930 Senior 6

It looks like other marquees may have used the same drums as well; however from my reference circa 1937, these are the only Chrysler related vehicles using the 14" Lockheed drums.

Rich

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

hi there,i own a 1929 chrysler 75,i have a lot of extra parts here,not sure if anything would work on your 77,i have a set of wooden spoke wheels with drums attached,missing 1 cap,carb,gauges,headlights,headlight bar,dash,a bumber,etc

• 14 years later...

Rumors had it that someone in Australia would take up re-manufacture of reinforced (improved) drums, but nothing has materialized so far. I am also looking for a set of such drums, never occurred to me before now that they are indeed riveted to a center section that could be reused from an old drum. Enclosed are pictures of a fair condition front drum and a highly corroded (but the best in my inventory) rear drum, both 6 bolt pattern for Series 65.

CT-S 1909 06 felgar (1).jpg

CT-S 1909 06 felgar (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...