Sign in to follow this  
scott12180

Antique Cars in Ohio

Hi all,

I like antique cars prior to 1930 --- twenties and the teens.

I have a job interview coming up at GE in Cincinatti in a week or so.

I'm just curious what the laws are for driving antique cars in Ohio? Do you need to have them inspected every year like in NY? Do you need to register them every year, like in NY? Do you need to kiss some politician's *ss every year, pay the highest taxes in the nation and get nothing for it, like in NY?

Seriously, I know the requirements are different in every state. I seem to recall Ohio being a bit friendlier than most. Am I right?

Thanks, -- Scott

Guest BillP

If you are bringing an old car into Ohio from out of state, go to a dealer and tell him you're registering an out of state car in Ohio & need the VIN or serial number verified to conform with whatever paperwork you have. He'll do this, fill out a little form, charge you $2.50 and you then go to the title bureau. Tell them you need a title, they'll ask you what the car is worth, you look at the ceiling briefly, tell them what it's worth and they charge a tax based on your figure plus a processing fee. You pay and they give you a title.

Take your title to the Registrar, tell them you want antique plates, assuming your car is older than 25. I think while you wait they give you a paper temporary plate, then your metal plate comes in the mail. The metal plate and its accompanying registration is good for FIFTY years, after which time you are probably done with the car. Cost is, I don't remember, 30 or 40 bucks.

No boot-licking involved, as long as your papers are in order. Actually, still no boot-licking, just get your papers in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you are bringing an old car into Ohio from out of state, go to a dealer and tell him you're registering an out of state car in Ohio & need the VIN or serial number verified to conform with whatever paperwork you have. He'll do this, fill out a little form, charge you $2.50 and you then go to the title bureau. Tell them you need a title, they'll ask you what the car is worth, you look at the ceiling briefly, tell them what it's worth and they charge a tax based on your figure plus a processing fee. You pay and they give you a title. </div></div>

Bill, this is the process if you're buying an out of state car in Ohio. To register a car after you move here from out of state the title bureau does the serial number verification themselves (for the same fee), and for a minimal fee they transfer your title here and register it for 40 years (if the car is already registered as "historic" or equivalent in the former state, in my case PA). I re-titled my Buick here and the whole process (in 2001) cost less than $20! cool.gif

If you're re-titling a normal car title into historic status I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

If you get the job in Cincinnati, contact the Southern Ohio Chapter of the AACA to meet club members and tour. I purchased a car in Indiana and had no problems bringing it into OH. There is no mechanical inspection required in Ohio. The state is only concerned the car serial number matches the title or registration number. This for all cars coming into the state.

jdwyer40@aol.com