SUCCESSFUL "RX-7" SUNROOF TRANSPLANT!!!!!!!!

It's true, the sunroof from a Mazda RX-7 is an exact match for the Reatta. I put one in mine last weekend. There ARE a couple of very minor differences, that DO NOT pertain the physical working of the sunroof. It was actually an easy job to do. Took me a total of 8 hours, which included a trip to the junk yard, for the donor roof. Removing the donor roof from the car, finding out it didn't work either, pulling out a different one that did work and then removing and replacing the one in the Reatta.<P>There are a few things that you must do in order for the transplant to be 100% successful. First, you must use the roof panel from the Reatta, I lost mine in a FREAK accident and had to use the panel from the RX-7. It fits, but the roof of an RX-7 is more curved than that of the Reatta. Therefore, it doesn't fit exactly flush in the middle. Second, is that the dome light brackets are different, I haven't thought of how I'm going to mount the dome light yet, the RX-7's dome light is located where our sunroof switch is. The headliner WILL install over the RX-7 frame with little trouble. Aside from that, it was not hard at all. The wiring, relays, and plugs even matched up (READ: NO WIRING!!!) <P>I ended up using a sunroof frame and panel from an '87 RX-7, and I have an '89 Reatta. The age difference wasn't a factor at all. ALL YEARS ARE THE SAME! <P>A Last note of warning, there are 10 or 12 bolts holding the assembly in place. The 4 closest to the roof opening are ALIGNMENT BOLTS. DO NOT, DO NOT tighten these bolts until all the others are secures first. If you do, you will DENT your roof, by pulling it in at each corner of the opening. be ver careful here. I already knew I had a trip to the body shop in my near future to paint the roof panel, but now I have 2 lovely dents to be removed too.<P>If you are not an experienced back yard repairman, DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. Consider me the test subject. If you are confident in your ability, then go for it, but if you don't know that much, take it to an experienced professional.

I will try and get together a more indepth overview of the operation in the near future. Hopefully that will be posted on the FAQ site. I am very busy with moving, and starting a new career, so if you write to me, and I don't get back to you quickly, I'm sorry. I will do the best I can, with the little time I have.