IPC went BYE BYE.

TheBlackMoon

Ever go driving down the street and decide to actually pay attention to your speed or wonder if you have enough gas, only to find your dash is blank with the exception of the number "00" for speed and the word "ERROR"? Well my friends, that would probably be your sweet $250-300 (to repair) IPC going nite-nite!<BR>Happened to me. Comes without warning or apparent cause but seems to be conditional on a bad ground. <BR>GM has been nice enough to authorize only one to two service center per state to repair these units, thus making the repair REDICULOUSLY high. The replacement of a $5 IC or a $.30 resistor will cost you the same as a $80 power supply board. The repair has been auth'd at $250 + extraction/reinsertion fee (typically about $50-100 according to GM here in Baltimore). Junk dealers KNOW we need this part so jack the price up horribly! One told me that the part -used, from a car with "just 58K miles"- was $250. When told that's the same cost of repair at Caton Radio, GM's auth'd service center, he said he knew; that's where he got the price from. CROOKS!!!<BR>Well, I had to drive to Delaware to get one for $125 (non-negotiable) with the dash coming and going constantly, and then they tried to keep my original once they saw I took it out already. But don't worry, I'm no one's FOOL!<BR>Bottom line...<BR>Barney/Jim/etc... I'm taking the original apart and trying to figure out what failed this weekend. I'll post if I find the problem. If not, would one of you like me to ship it to you to see if you can troubleshoot it? I just ask that you pay the S/H. If it's a cold solder joint or loose component/IC/wire, we can save each other a couple of hundred at a pop. smile.gif Let me know.<BR>LOL & Good luck to all.<p>[This message has been edited by Consultants_1 (edited 07-14-2000).]

IPC? I just bought a new car so my Reatta is in my garage. I have time to fix my intermittent dash problem, however; Is there an easy way to remove the IPC? I have lots of time since my 1990 coupe is idle at the moment. Any input please contact me at rwarner1@columbus.rr.com thanks.

Hey there Rwarner,<BR>Removal of the IPC is fairly easy in a '90-91. I'm not too sure about the '88-89. Removal of the black faceplate/dash covering that covers it and the radio is kind'a tricky. Be very careful and patient and you'll have no problem, though. You'll need a #15 torx driver (T-15) and a large flat-headed screwdriver. The screwdriver is there simply for a little even prying pressure at the clips that hold the faceplate in. You do not want to pull at it too much if you can avoid it. <P>In the top of the AC/Heater vent on either side of the steering column is a #15 torx screw. Unscrew both of these (one on each side). Carefully pull out one of the vents (large "D" shaped housing). Slowly pull around the housing til you pull it off, using the screwdriver wedged between the housing and clips where necessary (if you feel face plate may break). Once this is off, around your dash area are eight T-15 torx screws. The four gold ones hold on the tinted face plate, the four black ones the entire housing. Unscrew the four black ones. (Make sure there are only the four screws, as I don't have the IP in front of me and they're fairly easy to find.)<P>To remove the unit as a whole (recommended before removing tinted faceplate), gently, but firmly, pull the right side bottom toward you while supporting the unit as a whole with your left hand. It should come out with a bare tug. If it seems stuck, check for another screw. Remove the four gold screws holding on the tinted plate, if necessary, and try again. There's a small red & black connector on the bottom right side that you're pulling to disconnect. It's not secured very well and is connected by a short lead into a wiring harness behind the dash. You have about four inches from harness to unit, so be careful. <P>Reinstalling is simply a game of "line up the pins". Once the pins are lined up and the unit in the dash (the screw holes will line up perfectly when correct, if you haven't removed the connector), just screw it in, turn on the car to ensure it works properly, and then push on the black faceplate and screw it in.<P>That's all to it. More caution than work. Good luck.

I've had to replace two of these in my 90. This is just one down side to GM's "Modularity" concept. GM dosn't even list the part numbers for the internal parts.

• 1 year later...

I have this same problem with my 90 Reatta.<P>Dash goes blank and error shows up on odometer. When the IP comes back on there is no error messages.<P>Following the service manual it suggests that it is either my Body control Computer (behind glove box) or the power supply computer (under center consol). The IP itself was not listed as a candidate.<P>Did you replace your IP yet and did it work?<P>John Monnin<BR>jkmonnin@altavista.com