1947 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible

Guest imported_V12Bill

1241 convertibles were built between 1946 and 1948. This information was published in an issue of The Way of The Zephyr a few years ago. Since I own a 1948 I have checked into the directories of the LCOC and the LZOC and deleting the double listings and counting them as one , there were 48 cars listed. If you account for that many more that are out there but not registered, you can probably figure on less than 100 existing. We belong to a small club.

Bill

I have a 48 convertible coupe and at the local indoor car lot for antique cars there is a 47 Lincoln conv. coupe, ruff shape and he wants 35,000 for it. would love to see pictures of any one else who has a 42-48 convertible coupe, The book I have shows 314 made in 48. will have to find the book again to check on 47. 1252 continential convertibles were made in 48 according to my book which makes the coupe conv a very rare car then and now.

Guest imported_V12Bill

According to the Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930 - 1980 there were 201 LC Cabriolets built in 1946, 738 for 1947 and 452 for 1948 or 1391 total built from 46 to 48. This is, surprising enough ,more than the lowly Lincoln convertible. These numbers reflect the labor and parts supply problems suffered industry wide for 1946. 1947 had some of the same problems but not near as bad. In 1948 production of the V 12 ceased at the end of March or early April and the new 1949 models were introduced early, thus a lower number for 1948.

The numbers I got for the Lincoln converible came from The Way Of the Zephyr in an issue about 2001 or 02. Some kindly member went to the Ford Archives and sat down and recorded all of the build sheets for convertibles from 46 to 48. Even though there were only about 35 or 36,000 cars built in that period of time, it had to be a gruelling job to go over each build sheet one by one.

• 3 weeks later...

I really appreciate the response to my question concerning how many 1947 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible coupes were built. It still seems to be a mystery to many of us. I thought one of the vetern Lincoln folks would have this data. I will keep looking.

I will be glad to post a picture of my car with what history I have been gathering on it in about a month. In the mean time, if anyone can contribute to my quest for the build numbers on the 47 convertibles, I would be very greatfull.

Jalopyguy