Gas odor

I finally got around to checking for the gas odor per Barney Eaton's post of 6/17/00 and my post of 3/7/00. <BR>Sure enough, after removing the relay box and windshield washer fluid tank, I found the hose from the gas tank to the evaporator canister unplugged. It appears as though what happens is that over time the molded rubber adapter deteriorates, loses its grip, and as the line has almost no slack it slips loose from the nozzle on the canister. I didn't think mine would stay on if it was just plugged back in, so I fashioned an adapter from another piece of rubber gas line hose, which fitted perfectly over the canister nozzle, and secured the smaller inlet line from the tank to the other end using a screw type band clamp.<BR>I'm fairly confident that this was the source of the fumes, but........time will tell.

Score another one for Barney; I found exactly the same thing with mine. I was able to move the line around and plug it back in, but my confidence in it staying put is low-- I think I'll try Charles' suggestion if it pops out again. In the meantime, tho, I haven't noticed the fumes....

It appears Barney may have found the source of the problem for many of us. I too checked that line to the canister and found it had come loose. I agree with Charles that over time the rubber on the canister deteriorates and like wise I found very little slack in the tubing to make the connection. I did get it connected, but may have to find a way to keep it connected. But so far the fumes are gone.I would advise anyone who has had this problem to check that line to the canister. This may be a resolution that needs to be circulated and made very visible for all Reatta owners present and future. Thanks Barney!

OK, you guys have finally talked me into doing this job this coming week-end. I still have the gas odor, although it's not as bad since I replaced my O2 sensor a few weeks ago. Is the evaporator cannister behind the windshield washer for the 91s?<BR>I did my headlight job last week-end and I did look there to maybe tackle that job too, but it looks like there isn't much that could be there besides the firewall. When I was bent over with my head close to that area, I could smell gas a little but no leaks at all. This is a big deal to me, and I truly thank those that have contributed to this discussion.<BR>Jim Houston<BR>Charleston, SC

Jim,<BR>I would assume that the canister is in the same place on the '91 as it is on the '90 but, I could be wrong. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to trace. Good luck!

You're right Charles. I went back through the archives and re-read Barney's original message. My windsheild washer fluid tank and relay box are right where Barney said they would be (left front of the engine compartment). For some reason, I thought my windsheild washer fluid tank was mounted on my firewall. It isn't. I'm doing the job either one night this week, or definitely this week-end. I'm sure I'll find the same deal as everyone else who have taken a look.<BR>Thanks a million guys! I'll follow-up with my results.<BR>Jim Houston<BR>Charleston, SC