More than Machinery

billv8

More than Machinery 5-2-05

After some absence, I took up reading the various threads on the CCCA forum. I am pleased that they are left intact for some months. Especially interesting to me are questions on the classification criteria and those related conversations. Namely discussions based on postings from J446, JDLEE, Jim Flack, and contributions by Dave Mitchell. I never tire of these diversions into the more philosophical regions of mechanical-industrial history and automotive enthusiasms.

It is fully understandable that with close involvement (Might I suggest obsession?) with the restoration, maintenance, and enjoyment of classic cars, some owner/members might loose sight of the larger purpose of the organization. As an outside observer, amateur historian and general automotive enthusiast, I want to congratulate the Classification Committee for holding the rules tightly, applying strict protocols, and not becoming more inclusive on ever widening pretexts.

The classic era (If I may borrow the phrase) is not just about the cars. What I am hinting at is the notion of joining a society and having it expand to include my interests, rather than joining in to reinforce the existing philosophy, which in the case of CCCA, is a valuable one. The ownership of historic vehicles defined as Full Classics by CCCA recognizes the lucky few, the enterprising, energetic and successful, as temporary custodians of these great works of rolling art. The end of WW2 and brief postwar period represents a upheaval of history, the further destruction of the old world class system, the end of colonialism, cessation of much of the old world hand craftsmanship, and the explosion in consumer electronics and chemistry and mass produced goods.

More specific to the case of our beloved vehicles, the classic period presents the combined best efforts of great craftsmen, the blend of traditional with newly established technologies, the introduction of style as a part of marketing and design and the transition from the horse drawn coach mimicry to the advanced self propelled machine age. The Classic Era is witness to the ultimate freedom and convenience of safe personal ground transport, evolved from the dangerous and uncomfortable to the efficient and pleasurable.

I'll reply to your E-mail address with my Essay WHAT IS A CLASSIC. I welcome thoughtful criticism and exchange of ideas.

Bill C

wmc911@hotmail.com