1924 Pleasure Vehicle

Hello,

I am trying to help out my dad. He was Metal Detecting in the yard a few days ago and he found something that looks like it might be a license plate or something, it's rather small and is oval shaped. It says:

East ST. Louis, ILL

Pleasure Vehicle

I was wondering if anyone could give me some picture of a vehicle it might have came off of. I have looked and couldnt really find anything. It would mean alot to my dad if he could see what the automobile looked like. He has been bothering me to find a picture, and he really thinks its neat that he has found a piece of history. Or so he says. I hope that someone would help me find something. Thanks for your time!

Sounds like some sort of a registration tag from that town in 1924. If so, it would have been issued to and attached to <span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span> pleasure vehicle regardless of year, make or model registered in East St. Louis in 1924.

hvs

I grew up across the river in St. Louis quite a while after 1924, but St. Louis later had a "city sticker" which was a yearly decal for the windshield proving that you paid your taxes. The metal oval may have been a forerunner of that proof of payment for autos.