Rolls-Royce Sedan de Ville??

Hi!

I'm desperately trying to recognise a car from an old photo. But after a couple hours searching I still doubt between three different models:

- Phantom III (1936-1939)

- Wraith (1938-1939)

- Sedan de Ville (1935)

I made this (highresolution) scan from the photo:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jluttmer/RollsRoyce.jpg

Can anybody help me recognising this car?

Thanks in advance!

Jeroen Luttmer

I don't think the car is a P III or a Wraith, I think it's a small horsepower Rolls from about 1935 - 1937. A "Sedanca de Ville" is a term used to describe a certain body style like an open front towncar, not a model of Rolls Royce. The British term for sedan was "saloon" and that term best fits the body on your car.

Looks to be a 25/30, the slightly smaller predecessor to the Wraith. I would guess a Park Ward Saloon, but could be HJM. This body style may alternately be known as a Town Sedan but the Brits would usually call it a Saloon. I have foto of identical car in 6th ed THE ROLLS ROYCE MOTOR CAR (Anthony Bird) pg 287, an invaluable reference. I can forward your pic to my west coast friend who is Rolls enthusiast for verification, but I think I am correct. Sedan deVille is just French for Town Sedan. Sedan DeVille not an RR model name, but a body style.

Bill C

wmc911@hotmail.com

I think it is a small horsepower too - maybe even a 20/25. The body looks a bit older to me so might be 1935 or so, but one of the reference books cited should have it by chassis number so you can check out details. I'm pretty sure I've seen that photo in several books, and maybe even on a website somewhere.

2nd reply-

Consulted with friends who also enjoy ID puzzles and reconsidered the shape of this car and what few details can be seen, it seems more likely it is a late 20/25 HP model, with a slightly unusual limousine or saloon body. It appears there is no division which would make it a saloon.

I am told the park lamps on fenders and side trim suggest possibly a Windovers or Alfred Mulliner body instead of PW or Hooper. There is almost no exterior difference between a late 20/25 and 25/30. The differences lie mainly in the engine size 3.7L vs 4.2L in the later 25/30 and other running gear features. The Wraith was a new larger chassis. Hope this helps.

You might try the RR club and if you are lucky they might even acknowledge your existence.

Bill C, Nashville