Imperial vs Cadillac

Biggest fins: 1959 Cadillac (39"). Honorable mention goes to 1961 Imperial for fins nearly that big <span style="font-style: italic">with</span> taillights hung lantern-style below them. cool.gif

Easiest to restore: Depends on what you start with. Caddy parts are easier to come by for the most part (although Imperial mechanicals are often more common than Caddy due to common uses with Chryslers), but none are all that easy to find. Imperials are generally less complex (with exceptions) and <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> be physically easier to work on.

Better car: Frankly I prefer the Buicks of that era more, but honestly I think the 1961 and up Lincoln is the best/most advanced design. As it became more imitated it lost some of it's initial impact (and therefore financial value), but <span style="font-style: italic">it</span> is the car that defined luxury mass-production in the modern era. cool.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

As with any of these cars, watch out for RUST !

Also, you're best-off starting with a complete, intact survivor...

Which was "better" ? That's really difficult to say....it's very a personal opinion... grin.gif

Chrysler products of the 1957-'62 period are notorious for cancer issues, however, when most of the Chrysler line went unit-body in 1960, the Imperial remained a full-frame car.

Mechanical parts are readily available for the Imperial, and from '59-on,they used the RB big-block motor (413 through '65; 440 from '66 - '70's), which is a strong, reliable engine.

If you're looking for finnage, you'll pay a LOT more for a '59-'60 Caddy than you will for a '59-'60 Imperial in comparable condition...

Of these years, I like the '60 Imperial the best...

Some food for thought...

IMO, the 63 Imperial is quite a striking car! Great lines & styling. The 64 is right up there with it! I really like the understated elegance of my 64 Crown Coupe!

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Dave,

I have done major work on both a '59 Eldorado Biarritz and '61 Imperial convertible in the past and I'm here to tell you that both cars are a royal pain. Being the way I am, I have accidently walked into the back of both cars while here in the shop. The fins of the Imperial will bring tears to your eyes along with a few choice words. However, the fins of the '59 Caddy will downright drop you to your knees and no words can be expressed for at least 5 minutes afterwards. My choice would be the Imperial. Far less painful to restore! crazy.gifwink.gif

Rick

I vote for Imperial on this one, principally because these cars are far less common than the Cadillacs and win the "uniqueness" factor. The current issue of "Collectible Automobile" magazine carries an excellent article on the 1960 - 1963 Imperials. The 1960 models are strongly favored by the article's author, but I must admit a fondness for the 1962 models, which I have always regarded as a bold and elegant design. During the recent past, I've noted some excellent '59 to '61 Imperials on Ebay, and the prices are, as mentioned above, well below Cadillac levels.

Guest bkazmer

The amount by which the Amphicar's fins are higher than the Caddy's depends upon the depth of the water.

Guest my3buicks

If you want a car that beat Cadillac, Chrysler/Imperial, Lincoln at their own game then look no further than a 58 Buick Limited or even a 59 Electra 225 gave up nothing to the 3 heavy hitters and probably outdrove them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amount by which the Amphicar's fins are higher than the Caddy's depends upon the depth of the water. </div></div>

confused.gif

Uhhh..., water depth inside or outside the vehicle?

smirk.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

Speaking as a former Buick owner, the only thing that would scare me away from one as a driver is the transmission...

I could not find a shop that would even touch the Twin-Turbine Dynaflow in my '63 Wildcat...

That said, I like the late '50s Buicks looks much better than the Caddy...

Guest Randy Berger

Frank, if you think Buicks are bad, take them a 55-56 Packard Twin-Ultramatic and watch the lights go out behind the blank stares(lol).

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest De Soto Frank

Frankly,

I don't even like Chrysler semi-automatics for drivers... blush.gif

(Sorry, Walter...)

That would be one point in favor of an Imperial: the Torqueflite is a strong, straightforward tranny, shared amongst Chrysler Corporate marques...