bubbles in paint

My 91 coupe has a very good paint job except for bubbles in the sun roof panel.These bubbles just run around near the edge,about an inch in.My body shop person said if he fixed them they would come back. Has anyone else had this problem? If so,what is the fix.

My 89 Coupe has bubbles in the sunroof also. They are about an inch from the front edge. I was planning on having the entire sunfoof re-painted but I haven't talked to a body shop worker about it. I don't see why they would come back if the work is professionaly done. The rest of the car has a great paint job. I'll pass the word on after I talk to the body shop.

Those "bubbles" are not bubbles at all! Gentlemen, that is RUST that has formed below the surface of the paint. While it can be fixed as I just did mine (I repainted the sunroof and took it down to bare metal with oxide primer) it WILL eventually return, as the sunroof is not made from the same grade of metal as the rest of the car. Any rust which forms will in time return, as will all cars rust given enough years! <P>Yes, given enough years, all our Reattas will rust somewhere, as even the factory couldn't and surely DIDN'T prime them that well! Moisture does and will get under the paint in time, and while it can always be fixed, it does come back given time. One can only hope to match the paint and retard the formation of rust, but rest assurred....nature and the elements WANT OUR CARS BACK! Just see how long we can keem 'em! It's a losing and constant battle, but I plan to win for a while! Get it done now or later may be much more work than you bargained for!

• 18 years later...

This is the oldest thread I could find here in the Reatta forum.  I thought someone might find it interesting.  I suspect there may have been some older threads than this that have been lost with forum updates over the years. 

Barney, you have been here forever - do you remember if there were any posts older than these from June 2000?