I'm Buying! Is the Reatta reliable?

Hi there Reatta Fans!<P>I'm in Houston and I've seen quite a few of the beauties here driving up and around town. I've always wanted one, just for the looks. I have finally come to a point in my life when I can afford a decent car and I have the opportunity to buy one.<P>My concern is that it has been discontinued and I want to know why. I read a mechanic's comment that the Reatta has lots of nit-picky problems, things like the windshield wipers not working properly, the rear hatch not opening, and shifting problems in the cold/wet. Are these problems typical? Do I have to be careful of the Reatta that I buy, so I don't get a lemon? Of course I know you always have to be careful, but are lemons more or less common among the Reattas?<P>Thanks a lot and I hope to soon be a member of this fabulous club.

If you love the car and it turns your head and you see every one in town that drives by in one...by all means....you've been bitten by the Buick Reatta Bug, and there is little you can do! It is not a fatal disease, but will cost you plenty at one time or another, and drive you freakin' nuts at times too! Not to mention the worry of someone hitting you, no availability of parts and also the frustration of trying to keep it looking as good as possible with time and the elements and just normal wear all working against you all the time! <P>Just don't let others intimidate you when they ask, "what kind of a car is that?" They don't have the same admiration and respect for these cars that those of us too sick with our infatuation for these autos do! <P>But you asked. "are they reliable?" Well...time will tell you that, but they could be on a par at times with say Windows 98 or even the US Postal Service! Oops! Sorry! Nothing could be as bad as either of those! <P>Enjoy!

If you are really interested in purchasing a Reatta, take your time and save money. In your quest you will find cars ranging in price from $2000 to to over $20,000, and all of these cars are over ten years old. So how much do you have or are you willing to spend? Is a high milage but well maintained car a better buy than one that's been "Wrapped in celophane" and garged for the last ten years? Who know's. I guess you'll just have to pray and make the best decision based upon what you drive. The Reatta is not a "trouble free" car, but I've yet to hear of one that is. It is mostly people's lack of knowledge that frightens them away from purchasing this type of car. But, the chances of you purchasing a Reatta and doing nothing more than filling it with gas and having routine oil changes, are slim to nill. If that is your idea of a car, buy a Honda Civic. Plan on spending money if you buy one of these cars, period. One bright spot is, you have this forum to turn to if your mechanic gets stumpped. Good luck.

Powertrain: Reliable smile.gif<BR>Electrical Systems : Not Reliable frown.gif<BR>Insurance: High frown.gif<BR>Potential Collector Status: High smile.gif<BR>Potential Problem Areas: Parts availability, brakes (see numerous other posts).<P>But hey, how many <I>other</I> two seat Buick's do you know of? I think that perhaps 10 to 15 years from now parts for these cars may actually be easier to obtain than they are now as someone will probably make reproduction parts. The parts will almost certainly never be cheap however, due to the low production run of these cars.

I bought my 91 Reatta new from a Buick Dealer. It's now 9 years old with only 38,000<BR>miles & drives great & looks like NEW. White with Tan Leather.Located in Palm Beach County, FL. I have replaced the alternator, window lifts & headlight lifts & tires (Michelin) & that's it. It has always been garaged...but I need to sell it now because I need a sedan to accomodate a brood of visiting grandchildren. My firm price is $11,000. I'll be here from July 17 to 22 & back again on Aug. 20 to 30. If you're interested call me by July 1 @ 561-433-0939 or e mail : edhalperin@aol.com. The best way to keep your maintenance costs down is to get a car with low mileage that has been carefully serviced.

Is the Reatta reliable?<BR>Allow me to answer your question with another question...<P>How many American cars do you know of that typically (not always, but usually) begin having "problems" at about 8-10yrs old and at over 100K miles, that also have a life expectancy of from 200K-300K miles? Sounds like you're looking at what has been typically "Foreign Automobile Reliability" made only in America to me. That in and of itself is a most rare occurance. Don't you think? smile.gif

Hi fellow Southeast Texan: I review this forum several times a week, and frankly I've never seen the problems you have mentioned discussed. You ask why GM stop making the car. In a word, profit. Automakers are in business to make money for their stockholders, not cars. During the four years of production less than 25,000 were built. No profit in that. The Reatta was a very labor intensive car to produce, again little profit. The car was never intended to be a money maker, it was supposed to be a halo car for the Buick Divison. Sales proved less than they planned for. The Reatta also shared major components with the Riveria so any changes in it required changes in the Reatta, again a cost issue.<P>Can you drive one everyday. I do drive my 89 almost everyday without too many problems. Has it been trouble free? No. But it is more than ten years old too. I would think it is on par with other cars of the period. Engine parts seem to be easy to get. The Reatta only parts are the problem. Body, Trim, ect. Area of concern are the electrical system and many owners are have major brake problems. I have had some electrical system problems, ECM, headlight motor, driver's side power window, and A/C controller. Powertrain, a broken engine valve spring. I had to replace the rear struts and the heater core started leaking which had to be replaced. I have not had any problems with the brakes or the CRT so far. Like someone else told you if you want something trouble free, you are not going to find it in a 10 plus year old car. But like the beatiful blond, she's high maintaience but how can you not love her cute smile and laughter that could melt the coldest heart. So go out a buy one, we will keep the headlights on for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1988 Reatta, red with tan interior, which I purchased new from a Buick dealership. It currently has 81,000 mi. and is in very nice condition. It has been garaged and serviced on a regular basis since it was purchased. I have all maintenance records. If you are interested in purchasing, please email me and I will give you a phone number to call. Price is $6850. Farley ricnsha@aol.com

by all means. if you like the cars look enough you will buy it. have not regretted a day yet. sure some people have felt that the car was intimidating or simply nothing they figured BUICK should or would not build. my 1988 silver beauty & its 1989 silver sister turn heads WHEREEVER we go. limited numbers & parts prices are sometimes a pain, but well worth it. if you find & buy one ENJOY

Guest Jack91

Whenever I have doubts about repair expenses,I just remember if I did not have my 91 coupe I would have a new Buick depreciating 3 or 4k a year;plus 2k in taxes and insurance. GOOD LUCK

I have a 90 Reatta convertible which was purchased new and has 20000 miles. The only problem it has experienced, a burned out parking bulb.