winter driving

Hi!<BR>I've owned 2 reattas and many other cars (mainly front-wheel drive). In my opinion (for what it's worth), the Reatta is one of the better cars in the snow. As for tires, I stick to whatever is cheapest at the time I need new ones .... probably not much help, but that's my $0.02<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html</A>

I own a cherry 1990 red coupe with just <BR>19,500 original miles. It will never see<BR>a snowflake. I'm considering purchasing a <BR>second Reatta to drive all seasons, including winter here in Minnesota. OK you northerners, how does this car perform <BR>in the snow? With the light rear end, is there excessive fishtailing? What all season tires would you recommended for this car? Thanks! Steve / Minneapolis

I wouldn't expect much fishtailing because the car is front wheel drive. At least you don't have the power wheels in back losing traction and fishtailing around until they "bite" some pavement.<P>

A word of advise...Do Not try & drive these cars on ice. Its a religious experience. We live in Winnipeg Manitoba & tried to drive the car on ice last winter. It seemed like the ABS system did not allow us to steer when we started to skid. Because of this, we will be buying a winter car to drive this year. I'm also leary about the computer system when it gets cold. Just my opinion...

I experienced the same effect on ice and snow. Make sure you have good winter-tires on your Reatta. The ABS definately interfered with the performance though, in the wintery conditions. I too live in the Minneapolis area. <P>As far as the computer system - I doubt that excessive cold would ever hurt it. If anything, excessive heat would be the issue. Generally electronics (other than things like LCD's, etc) run much more efficient when they are colder. As far as solid state electronics go, cold = good, heat = bad. I'm pretty sure most of the system is solid state, so you don't have "tubes" cracking from heating up from being too cold...ha ha! Good luck!<BR>

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, I have a 90 Coupe, <BR>and live in Pound, WI (50 miles North and<BR>West of Green Bay) We live in the boonies<BR>and I have never felt safer than in my baby!!<BR>With the weight, front wheel drive and ABS<BR>I can go anywhere....and I do, I just rolled<BR>160,987 and will drive this until a new<BR>engin is required....? We also have an S-10<BR>Blazer and it scares me to death in the snow!

I'm down here off the Chesapeake in Baltimore, and since I bought her right at the beginning of the "nasty season" last year (12/29), I had a little time to play with her. The tires are Dunlop D60 A-2's and came with her. She performed like a CHAMP!!! didn't get stuck til I parked in a alley and got snowed in (28"), and even then dug her way mostly out. She crapped because I made a mistake and she went sideways (not enough room to manuever). <P>One thing, the tranny wailed when she was rocked out of dips (when I got stuck) and she had to be left parked for about 2hours before cooling off enough to go. By then the stuff froze, and she climbed right on out. Took her to Pa. (in the hill country) and she barely even slipped, even when climbing a 40degree slope.<P>Though I'm well trained in driving in ice and snow, I must say she performed admirably all on her own. I passed many a 4x4 that didn't do half as well.<P>I wouldn't worry much, but I would suggest good snow tires up there, like the Blizzaks.<BR>LOL

Concur with the raves! My experience with cheapo tires in a reverse bank corner was spectacular. If I got in the corner a little to hot the front end would start to move toward the outside. All that was required to bring it back was backing off on the throtle a little and the the front end would come right back to the line I was on. This corner was on the way to work here in Denver CO. A new addition to the fight aginst ice here is Mg Cl instead of Na Cl. Really nasty stuff, makes what would be packed snow with no extreme problems like driving on lard. No way to tell where it is until you're in it, then too late.