Carter YF carb.

Gat

Im a student at Alfred State College and im in the process of overhauling a 1949 Carter YF 1Bbl carburetor. Im having quite a hard time finding specs for this carburetor. If anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it.

Guest De Soto Frank

What vehicle is it on?

(This will help get you the proper specs...the YF was original equipment on some cars & trucks, and a very popular aftermarket replacment carb for a multitude of others; therefore there are variations for the various applications)

Guest Albert

does it still have the brass tag on it? this would tell you what it fits and the specs. if the brass tag is missing there will be a number cast into the throttle plate portion 630,648,650,728,776,788,791,866,875,1052,1105,1121 or 1127 and I can narrow down what it fits and the specs for setting and parts brake down. Looks like a very simple carb with very little adjustments, unlike the WCFB series 4bbl.

The YF carburetor was/is one of the very best 1-barrel carburetors ever built. First produced in 1950, it was still around when fuel injection superceded the carburetor due to smog emission concerns. There are hundreds of variations of the YF.

The first step is to determine the identification for this individual YF. Most (but not all) type YF carburetors have the number STAMPED (NOT RAISED) on the center section (bowl). The number will be three or four digits, followed by the letter "S" as in (S)am.

Once the carburetor is specifically identified, specifications may be obtained. Decent overhaul procedures are located in various Motors or Chiltons books. Check the reference section of your library.

Repair kits for all type YF up to and including the 1974 model year are readily available.

Jon.