Dunkirk

RVAnderson

Haven't heard much about Dunkirk in a long time. It used to be a great meet for early stuff - anyone got a current report? Is it headed the way of a good many swap meets with increasing numbers of T-shirt and ball-cap vendors? Ive noted a trend over the past couple of years. With the basic exception of Hershey, the early stuff is moving to the dedicated brass era swap meets. Are there any more "pockets" of stuff out there at some of the older established events like Dunkirk, Maggie Valley, etc?

Wouldn't it be great to put together a master list of all the best swap meets and then summarize them in terms of size, and what kind of stuff you're likely to find there. Is there a website someplace that serves as a "master list?" Hey-that sure sounds like a good idea to create one if it doesnt already exist.

Got the idea from a travel site where I was trying to book some hotel rooms. There was a section there for visitors to rate/review the places, so maybe we could do the same thing with swap meets? May open the idea up under a new post just to see if we can all share some knowledge about the major venus.

Terry

I go ever year as a good way to start out the flea market season. It has declined as most have in content and total size but I think it has declined less than Spring Carlisle as far as non automotive stuff. But it is a lot smaller than Carlisle. I travel about 2.5 hours. I would probably skip it if I had to travel more than about 4 hours.

I'm not looking for early stuff so not watching that close but I have seen a few interesting early items the last few years. Like an engine out of an early steamer a couple of years ago.

You can cover it easily in 3-4 hours, less if you are a fast walker.