Crack in Dash

If the crack is on the flat panel between the windshield and the padded vinyl part, that is a common crack. While I have never removed this panel, the manual indicates there is probably a boss or other plastic projection in that area that locates or holds that part of the panel in place. I have seen the same thing happen on the drivers side. The manual indicates you remove the defroster vent and there are two screws under that vent. The panel in question then can be removed. Once removed, it may be possible to epoxy or otherwise reinforce the area on the underside. Do you think a dash cover thingy would prolong this from happening?

Thanks for the response. The craack is on the flat oanel as you described it. I think a thingy to cover the dashbord might prevent future cracks. Had an 89 Olds 88. Same thing happened. Never fixed the crack and it just got worse. Don't want that to happen to my Reatta. So, I wll fix it. Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it. What you suggest doesn't sound too bad.

Replacing the cracked piece is a good idea. You don't say if you live in a particularly hot area of the country. If so, dashboard cracks are a part of the life (as in Florida where I live). The best preventive measure seems to be getting a reflector for the windshield if you park the car outside during the day. Also, tinting the windows can help to reduce heat buildup inside the car -- the primary culprit. If you smoke, this is apparently a contributory factor in dashboard deterioration. I don't know why, but GM interior materials seem particularly sensitive to smoke. I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but older cars didn't seem to have that particular problem.

If you would like to have the crack in your dash fixed properly, your best bet is to chech the Yellow Pages in the Automotive section, then under Vinyl or Upholstery Repair. I normally use "Doctor Vinyl" and they will come to your house to do the repairs. They are able to match any color and texture so that the repair is impossible to detect from the surrounding area. It is not an expensive service and only takes a few minutes to complete as they do not have to remove the dash. As for the dash covers, you can get the exact match for your Reatta from: barney@texas.net for a very reasonable price.

A small line crack has just developed on the passenger side on top of the dash board of my 90 Reatta.The dash is camel colored and appears to be very thin where the crack has developed. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to fix or correct.Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I am a new Reatta owner and the 2nd owner of the car. Previous owner smoked cigars. Still trying to get rid of the cigar smoke odor. Also, Live in the Washington, DC area. It does get hot here. These 2 facts may account for the problem. In any event, Will get dash fixed by a professional soon. Will see if there is a Dr. Vinyl in the area. Will also contact barney@texas.net about a dash board cover.Again, thanks for all the information. This ia a great discussion forum. Hopefully, some day, I'll be able to help someone else with my experiences.

• 11 months later...
Guest wally888

Dash pad cracks appear to be caused by the fasteners that hold the pad down. The pad, on the rear side, has several rectangular arms at a 90* angle to the pad. A metal clip slides over these arms, is locked in place by<BR>sharp edges, and locks into a slot in the frame below. Evidently, as time and heat cause the pad to expand and contract, the clips become frozen to the frame.No longer can the clips slide in the frame and cracks appear at the fastener sites. I have seen several and as time goes by they become 1/2 moon, encircling the fastener below.<BR> Removal of the pad and defroster grille are tricky and usually results in breakage.<BR> I will email how I had success to anyone who requests.<P>------------------<BR> A recent report said,"Humans only use 20% of their brain." Think what it be like if we used the other 60%!