Sign in to follow this  

What happened to Mobilia Magazine?

Back in 1994 I discovered Mobilia Magazine. It was the best magazine I had ever read and it was all dedicated to what I lived for.... automobile collectibles. I couldn't wait for my issue every other month, to read about the great treasures that were out there somewhere, and the well writen articles about Walter Miller, Charlie Shalebaum, and other collectors who always seemed to find the "jewels", and who inspired me in my search. About 1998 or so, Mobilia lost it's soul, and appeared to "sell out". It became a "Die Cast Digest", and I never renewed my subscription. Occasionally I would visit their web site, but that didn't do much for me, so I stopped that too. Tonight, for some reason after about a year or so, I logged on to Mobilia's web site, and it says "Mobilia is having a going out of business sale"! I guess I wasn't too surprised, but I couldn't help but wonder how the BEST magazine ever came to such a demise. I missed it all! Can someone fill me in? Is the magazine gone too? What a shame.

When this Mag first came out I ran across it and also just had to have it. I subscribed to it and over time I saw that it seemed to be moving away from the auto collection items and putting in more and more toys, which I have little interest it. I dropped them a note about my thoughts and the next year I did not renew. I read in the paper where they dropped the mag and went on the net. About a month ago I saw in the paper that they were not doing well and that they were going out of business. Thats all I know. At one time I realy enjoyed the mag and could not wait to see what people were finding out there.

When the magazine started to change format, I wrote them a letter expressing my displeasure. A few weeks later I got a phone call from Eric Killorin, Mobilia's editor. We talked for nearly 1/2 hour about the magazine and where it was going. He said that he had received much response about the change, but that the majority supported the trend toward the diecast models. He did say that there was serious consideration of starting another magazine that followed the format of the original Mobilia, because there was such a strong and dedicated following. I wonder what ever happened to that idea. It would be interesting to hear from Eric himself; I know he's a big fan of Hershey, and i'll bet he drops in here occasionally.

I too lament the demise of the original Mobilia. I collect that stuff also and was always excited about the treasures and stories. To me, the term "automobilia" always meant really old antique stuff related to the auto. Never really put stuff made yesterday in mass quantities into the same category, and as it began to move that way, I too lost interest. If a new version surfaces Ive got a couple of great articles to contribute - a story about the circa 1915 auto parts store Ive recreated in my barn and another about my auto sheet music collection (some of it is currently on display at AACA Headquarters in Hershey PA.) Happy collecting! Terry

Glad to hear that I was not the only collector that was upset by the change in format by mobilia. I had no problem with articles on diecast being in the magazine, but when they went all diecast I dropped my subscription. There are enough model and diecast magazines out there to take care of that end of the hobby (I even subscribe to a couple of them).<P>Anyway it would be nice if a publication of the old mobilia would come along again. It was always a welcome sight to see mobilia in the mailbox. The anticipation to see what unusual collections were in each issue was worth the wait for each issue.<P>Rock

mobilia was sold to krause publications. the subscriber list to the former mobilia magazine was merged into that for the krause publication "toy cars & vehicles". that magazine has recently changed title (but not content) to "toy cars & models". <P>the current content of "tc&m" does not include coverage of what is known as "mobilia". the web site was continued for awhile but it too recently closed.<BR>