How do I find vehicle history for a 1965 Riviera???

If I am interested in buying a 65 Rivi, how do I find the vehicle history record for it??<P>I have searched high and low all over the internet, and can find no reports for a car this age, and the old 13 digit VIN number is too old for search sites.<P>Or is there no way to get records for cars this old???

Guest 70 Electra

By "vehicle records", do you mean a title or registration history?<P>Your best (and perhaps only) bet is to contact the Dept of Motor Vehicles in the state where the car is currently registered. (This assumes the car IS currently registered, which is often not the case with a classic that's for sale.)<P>If the state keeps records far enough back (many of the more populated states are only keeping records for 5-7 years), you can usually request copies of prior titles. This is typically a formal written request, with a fee, and takes a few weeks to a few months--depending on the state. The slow turn-around time often makes this impractical when you are checking on a car that is for sale.<P>If you are dealing with a state that keeps records from WAY back, you may be in luck--receiving copies of past titles, with names of owners and their addresses. Otherwise, you may only find out that the current seller has owned the car for several years, and you still have no idea where and when it came from before that.<P>I've been told that the local state police can check a car's VIN against the NATIONAL list of stolen cars. This won't help with the ownership history, but will ease your mind as to whether or not the car you are thinking of buying is "Hot" in another state.<P>I suspect that the internet services for "researching" the VIN of late model car are primarily to check for title 'laundering'. You know, things like taking a flood damaged or salvage (wrecked) car to another state to get a clear title.

70 Electra,<BR>thanks for that detailed reply. Yes, I'm mainly interested in history of car, accidents, etc.<P>I guess I'll try calling the DMV, and see where that takes me. Thanks.