49 convertible arrives in New Zealand

KIWI 49R

Hello all,<BR> My project has arrived at last, nearly six months after purchase.Its exciting to have it here but its a bit disapointing to see just how much rust the car has that didn`t show up on on all the photo`s that were posted on Ebay.All the floors including trunk will need replacing and the inner and outer rocker panels.She is definatly worth saving though,its just going to take awhile.I will post photo`s as soon as figure out how.If anyone out there has a R.F. Fender and a Trunk lid let me know.<P>Cheers,Chris

I too bought a rust bucket on E-bay. Like you said, it wasn't in the pictures.<P>You can get new floor pans from Classic Fabrications <A HREF="http://www.classicfabrication.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.classicfabrication.com</A> located in South Carolina. They have everything you will need except maybe the trunk pan.<BR>Good luck with your new project.

It's a little known fact that rust can't be photographed. grin.gif" border="0 <P>We too purchased a car ('48 Buick Super convertible) which looked very restorable in the pictures but was quite different when viewed 'in person'. We've done that twice. The second time were luckier in that we were able to get our money back out of the car but we really took a bath on that '48 Buick. Oh well, live and learn.<P>Good luck with the restoration!

Guest Ray Newport

Some rust not much. If you still want it just pay for the shipping and it yours for the taking. It's just taking of space in my garage and i need all the space i can get.

Chris & others<BR>There will be all sorts or parts (and cars ?) coming back to Oz & NZ after the BCA meeet 2003. May be worth keeping this in mind when obtaining parts<P>{Chris's car is a Roadmaster]<p>[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: 1939_Buick ]

Ray,<BR> thanks for your generous offer. Give a little time to figure out some shipping and I`ll get back to you. Is your email address still valid as I just recieved an email back that said it was undeliverable?<P>Packard V8,<BR> do you mean the outside handle assembly or the latch mechanism on the inside of the trunk lid<P>Thanks, Chris

Rust.......hmmmmmm.....rust.......<BR> Look at it as a challange, a way to improve your body working skills and the art of metal working. Ok Ok ok......I know it sounds lame......but, belive me if you look at it in that perspective it is very easy and almost fun to deal with.<BR> Yah, im sick, but I really like fixing things!!!!! <BR> Taker easy and take your time.<BR>Tom H.<BR> grin.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, great to see another Buick arriving in NZ. I live in Napier and have a 56 2 door sedan in a similar condition to your car. Would love to hear from you. E-mail rejected for unknown reason.Can you contact me.

56 Buickboy

56buickboy.

Hard for any one to contact you with out an email address or a profile

I have an email address for Chris that is different from the one in his profile

There are nice Buicks in Hawkes Bay

Hi ,

its me KIWI49R but the system wont let me login and it seems everybodies email address has had "removemefirst" added to it. Maybe we have a rogue Icon wreaking havoc??????

• 3 weeks later...

Kia ora Kiwi49!!!

I was in NZ for the first time ever in Feb. 2001, had the best time of my life. Went to the Art Deco Festival in Napier and saw many beautiful cars from the 20s, 30s and 40s. Best of luck to you in your restoration project.

I'm sure we will make the trip again soon.