some old car stories ! ! !

Hi everyone,

Some of you have read the post I left on CARCRAZY & GREENSBURG PA. car show post.

One of you said I should keep sending stories about my families old cars history like I had done with my Dads 1926 Wills Ste Claire.

I want to say I love all old cars !!! I really love the Classic cars as I see them as true works of art. When I look at a true Classic I never think that sales were the reason they were built. I see that someone had a great idea in their head and they set out to build the car just because they could !!!!

I like the antique cars because they always remind me of how competive the auto makers were. They remind me of a time that i'm to young to remember, when Americans had the new freedom to go everywhere whenever they wanted ( what a cool time).

I love muscle cars because they are fun and cool !!!!!! The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they were truely all about sales more then anything else. My 1969 Hurst SC/rambler was a IMAGE CAR FOR AMC , all about sales but truely a unique car!!!!!

I also love motorcycles and have a Harley now. Trucks mean alot to me as I have always been a delivery person and Truck Driver my whole life. The road is my passion as it is my work and fun both !!!!

All this car love started for my Family way back when my Grandfather who was a very educated man with a drive to succeed married my Grandmother. He was raised in a tuff oil and gas town of Salem W.Va. as a young man so he never forgot his roots.

My Grandmother liked nice things and thought the automobile was truly something special. She loved to dance and said that my Grandfather was a great Ballroom dancer. My Grandfather told her that he would pay for them to become members at the local country club so that they could dance and talk to people and play cards. Or he could take his money and she could pick out a fine automobile of her choice and they could travel the country and fight Game Roosters !!!!! Well THEIR WAS NO CHOICE TO BE MADE HERE !!!!! My Grandmother pick a 1926 Studebaker as the car to use !!!! Many years were spent going around the eastcoast and midwest in that Studebaker fighting roosters and meeting some of the most colorful charcters that our country could offer.

I am so blessed that I have had many of these kind of stories passed down to me so when I see old cars I know that everyone of them has a story to tell.

I love talking to the older people about this kind of stuff. I'm 39 years old and feel sorry for young people who won't listen to them,they don't know what they are missing.

If you like this story I can write more but will wait to hear from you guys first. I don't want to seem pushing or anything. (just thought you might like it). I can put up some old pictures also if you would like to see some our old cars.

Sorry for the words that might be mispelled as I'm just a Truck Driver and no typist either.

thanks,

matt

I should be a AACA member soon. They are looking into what class my car should fall in as the Hurst SC/ramblers were Factory street & strip dragcars that were ment to have some simple bolt-on modifacations done to them. It is nice but not a show car as I still use it for what it was made for. I just want to be in the right place if they have one for me.

FREEDOM = AMC

Matt, with documentation {time slips, etc.} you could enter in the race car class and be judged,decals and all. Car would have to be as raced in the year you declared it to be a race car. I.E. if you say 1974, no parts could be from newer then 1974. More stories, less truck drivering or Bigrig, the other truck driver will get involved with Peterbuilt stories. grin.gifgrin.gif

I have the old time slips and all the old paperwork. My tires are newer Radials and I have newer Carbs as they work better on the cross-ram intake for street use. My battery is newer also.I have to drive it everywhere as I don't have a trailer. I just like to put it in a class, It doesn't need to be judged as I know the car is not perfect AACA correct.

I learned to drive in a 1956 Chrysler Crown Imperial( see attachment ). This was a nice car. I well never forget that push button trans. It belonged to my Grandfather. It is now owned by a man in Charleston W.Va. and he uses it as a daily driver. He also still drives it to Las Vages and back once a year.

We were all tought to drive in reverse before we could go forward.

My Father,Brother and myself all got our first cars on our 13th birthdays. The cars were of the year in which we were born. My Dad was born in 1926 and he got a 1926 Chevy, brother got a 1963 Chevy 11 (two) and I got a 1965 Mustang. This was great !!!! These cars kept us out of trouble as we were so afraid of having them taken away.

thanks,

matt

My Dad always liked Packards. Back in 1978 He already had the old 1937 Packard and was on the hunt for another. He had been told about a 1938 in Pa. somewhere so we all got in the Ford van and off we went. The 1938 was not that nice so we opend up our hemmings magazine and saw a 1932 Cadilac that was not very far away. We went to see it and it was wonderful !!!! It was a V-16 car that was two tone blue. MAN IT WAS SOMETHING. The owner took us for a ride that I will never forget.Dad loved it but really wanted a Packard and the Cadilac owner told him of one that he new of in New York. Dad had two days left before he had to be back for work so it was a fast trip to NY. When we got there we saw one heck of a Packard, a V-12 car that was super nice !!!! It was raining so we went inside as they made the deal. The owner said he would have to have $21,000.00 for it if I remember right. My dad said that was OK much to the owners surprize , I think. He offord to take Dad to the bank to make payment plans but my Dad just pulled the money out of his pocket and paid for it with cash !!!! I was only 12 years old when this happend so it was very cool to had seen that. The man he had just bought it off of said he would keep it in the garage until Dad could get back with a trailer to get it home. Dad said that was ok but not needed as he would just drive it home then !!!! After a little paperwork we were off from NY. back to W.Va. I road with Dad in the Packard and Mom drove the van back with my brother. ( see attachment above ) THIS WAS JUST GREAT !!!!!

we made it home with no problems.

I don't remember when he sold this car or where it went but we know that the next owner ended up hitting a deer with it coming back from a show somewhere. (very sad) as it did alot of damage.

thanks,

matt