Repairing Threads on '40 Buick Grille

Podster

I had a the pot metal grille on my '40 Buick Special replated years ago. Now that I am ready to put it on, I noticed that a couple of the threads are decayed and/or stripped. I would like to get a few opinions on the correct way to repair the threads. Should I use helicoils? Groove-pin inserts? Special studs? Anyone know a good, permanent fix?

I would think that once the grille is in place, it will not be removed. The simplest cure I see is to epoxy the studs in place. The studs will stay where they belong, and you can still remove the grille if the need arises.I do not believe the boss is large enough to utilize a Heli-coil<p>[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

My two worries with Epoxy is cracking due to vibration and load (torque) on the stud. From what I remember, the grille does need a little torque to get it flush with the fender. I'll have to look into that.

You may be able to use a thread tapping set for nut and or bolts. Find the correct size and match the thread pattern and there you go! I have done it a number of times.