Downdraft Carburetor

Clincher

Looking at the intake manifold on my 1929 Model 137 it seems as if it would be not too difficult to tip it upside down and fit a downdraft carburetor. I am curious as to whether or not this would result in quicker starting, better gas mileage, more power, etc. Of course the procedure would be readily reversible and not permanently compromise the originality of the car. Advice and comments from anybody who has done this would be welcomed.

Guest imported_mikewest

Sir When I bought my 1929 Franklin Mod 137 ,The manifold was upside dn and had a stomberg 97 (V8) carb on it .I never ran the car before I restored it ,because of other problems ,but it cleared the hood,and looked good.I bet the car performed well. Ive heard of others in The Franklin club that have done this.Another improvement would be to block of some of the heat created by the manifold stove above the carb. MIKE

• 2 months later...

Clincher....I have a 1931 Plymouth "PA" that some previous restorer converted to down draft by simply turning the intake manifold upside down. It came equiped with a Solex carb which was inadequate; I changed it to a Holley 1bbl unit that fit an early sixties Ford (170 ci) the Plymouth is 196ci. It runs the car great.