1917 Maxwell info

Dave Mitchell

I am helping some people with an estate and they have a car that seems to be a 1917 Maxwell open touring car. There is also an extra rear axle assembly. It is partially apart and needs a lot of work, but seems to be mostly there. I have a serial number from the frame crossmember - can anyone tell me what year this car is from the number? I have some photos also. Any help is appreciated. The car will be for sale eventually. Thanks, Dave Mitchell packard12s@hotmail.com

Hi Dave. I think I have some reference material which can identify your Maxwell year from the serial number on the frame crossmember. What is the number? Typically the year can be determined easily by changes in body style (I'd need to see a photo) or by engine number (if it's the original engine). I am in the process of restoring a Maxwell 1917 Model 25 Touring so I'd be interested in seeing photos. John Flyroy15@msn.com

1919 Maxwells were serially numbered 239823 through 266800. The first edition of the 1919 Instruction Book is dated August 1918. The first edition of the 1920 Instruction Book is dated July 1919. 1917 models were numbered 113259 through 193800. Hope this helps.

Dave