Probs shifting w/'51 Dynaflow

Puka

Hello: I've got a 51 Super sedan (mod. 2) with Dynaflow. The lever that shifts from Park through Reverse is beginning to give me problems. (Maybe there's a diagram somewhere of all the parts for this area of the car)?<P>It is difficult to move the lever from Park to Reverse or from Drive to to Low to Reverse. And sometimes even Park to Drive or Drive to Low. I think something needs to be lubricated but I am not sure what. I looked at the manual. Couldn't quite get the info. I needed. Took of the steering wheel and nut and sprayed some WD-40 in it, and that seemed to help a little but not much.<P>Any suggestions? Maybe I need to take it more apart but am not sure how.<P>It's my driver car (in fact my only car!), so would really appreciate your help! Thanks.<P>Puka<P>puka1915@yahoo.com<P>PS. This problem had occurred before <BR>I had engine and transmission rebuilt by really good guys. Then it was okay for a while. The mechanic said he had WD-40'd something. Now it's acting up again.

I had the exact same problem. It started the morning after I cleaned that side of the engine. I sprayed some water on that side and I guess it must have gotten on or in the shifting linkage. At first I thought it may be in the transmission so I disconnected the linkage that comes from the transmission from the one that goes to the shifter in the car. I moved the linkage from the transmission back and forth and it seemed free of problems (it didn't bind at all). So I moved on to the linkage coming from the shifter in the car. There is a place right next to the steering column where this linkage is connected to, that needs to be oiled. It's hard to explain where it is other than to say that it's next to the steering column but when you look in there you can't miss it - just follow the linkage fromt he tranny on up to the inside of the car. I hosed it down with some slilicone lubricating spray at every moving joint that I could find. I then let the car sit overnight and by the next morning the shifter was smooth as silk - better than it ever was. I recommend using this silicone lubricating spray as it seems to last longer than WD-40. That was several months ago and it's still smooth.<P>I hope this helps.<P>Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the message. I'll give that a try. That linkage that you sprayed with silicone lubricant is in the engine compartment? Or is it on the actual steering column next to the steering wheel?<P>If you can give me a more precise descpritioin of where to look, I'd appreciate it.

Many years ago (more than I care to remember) I had a similar problem with one of my 53 Specials. After trying everything I could think of a mechanic from a Buick shop told me to replace my rear motor (transmission) mount. In those days it was about $8.00 and took me all of half an hour. Fixed everything.<BR>Happy hobbying.

I wanted to add that I have experienced the problem I stated above several months after I replaced the transmission mount. I'm fairly certain the mount had nothing to do with it in my case. Puka, were you able to find and lubricate the linkages OK? What's the status?<P>Cheers!