Seatbelt warning buzzer on 72-up GM cars

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

My 1972 Buick Electra had the feature where if it detected someone in the passenger seat (by weight I assume) that did not have their seat belt fastened (at least the lap belt) the buzzer would sound. I am guessing this was something that came out on all full-size 1972 GM cars made in the actual 1972 year? I am not sure of all of the other GM cars had the passenger detection or not. I think we discussed this a while back, but I do not recall. I say this because I have seen some 72' Electras made in late 1971 that did not have the "fasten belts" warning light/buzzer, but my old Electra- made in March or February of 1972, did have it. I think some of us agreed that it was something that was added on all cars (warning light for seatbelts) that were made staring on January 1, 1972. Someone with a 74' Caprice said their car had it, so I am wondering. I do not know if my 73' Grand Ville has it, because my buzzer does not sound, however, the light does illuminate if the driver belt is not fastened when the car is placed in "D", which is how my Electra functioned as well. I know that this feature eventually faded, but does anyone know what year? I am guessing that with the 1977 redesign that it faded?

Any info on this appreciated.

Someone removed/disabled the buzzer on your '73. When the seat-belt light is on, the buzzer should be buzzing on your (our) car. I had no idea any '72s had this system. I know one of my '73 model cars (I'm thinking it's the Century) actually activated the buzzer/light when you shifted into any range outside of Park.

1973 was the last year for this type system though; the '74s switched to a seat-belt interlock system; if you didn't buckle your seat belt, your car's starter wouldn't engage. It was such a PITA that they discontinued it in '75. The '74 model cars had an orange socket on the firewall by the brake booster; a relay with a reset button plugged into it. Most/all of these systems have been disabled.

From '75 on, you get the 5-second light upon startup always. If you didn't buckle-up, you got the buzzer as well as the light.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks Joel. I bet it was disconnected then. My light does still illuminate, so the system is still operable. I was unaware of the systems on the 1972 models as well, until I got my 72' Electra, but it too had the seat belt warning light and buzzer and like my 73' Grand Ville, it only illuminated (and buzzer sounded) when the car was placed in "D". I have seen some early 72' models (made between 8-71 and 12-31-71, sold as 72s) that do not have the system, so I researched and from what I can gather, it was something that started on January 1, 1972. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Interesting how the 74 models worked. I do remember reading about this feature in some old car magazines- how it was very annoying, since many people did not fasten their belts back then. I also think that the 74' models had the "3-point" seat belt- where the shoulder belt was made on to the lap belt and both retracted?

74's sold in Canada didn't have the starter interlock but they did have the seat belt buzzer. On mine, it was also disconnected. My 75 doesn't have a seat belt light or a buzzer beause it has the air bags but the 1975 owner's manual and chassis manual both mention the buzzer for canadian cars without air bags and the starter interlock for US cars. Are you sure that the starter interlock was discontinued in 1974?

Philippe, you have got me doubting myself.... I *thought* the starter interlock was 1974-only, as none of the '75 GM-anythings I've ever seen had such a system.

I can tell you for a fact that my '74 Malibu does have it while my '75 LeMans sedan & parts-wagon don't.

Of course making a blanket statement like that is probably foolish as I don't have access to all '74 & 75 GM products; however, I have run across hundreds & hundreds in yards, etc. & they all seem to back-up my "theory". Later.

Guest Shaffer

I do not recall our old 1974 Pontiac Catalina 4dr sedan, nor our 1974 Chevrolet Impala 4dr sedan having that "interlock" feature, but that was back in the mid 1980s- many years ago, so I may be wrong. If they did, they were probably disconnected. I think that if they were still operable, my father would have been complaining about them all of the time and I do not recall that. confused.gifgrin.gif