1950 Torque converter bolts

kcreary

The bolts used for the torque converter to flywheel on the 1950 Super have a rounded off head. The fellow who rebuilt my engine lost these bolts! Is there any reason I should not use regular hex head machine bolts instead? If I need to replace these, any thoughts on where I migh find some? Thanks! -Ken

Guest 53and61

I have two that are yours for the asking in case you need samples. Hex bolts with partially threaded shanks will fit if you grind down one of the flats on each bolt head. I did this when I needed longer bolts to go through balancing weights that I had to add when replacing the converter housing. Hence the two left-over stock bolts. I used 3-point hardened hex bolts. If I were using hex bolts all around, I'd use a hardened steel washer ground to a D shape under each head to spread the force to an area as large as that of the bigger D shaped heads of the stock bolts; this might be an overkill, but it won't hurt anything.

Thanks! After I got home I took another look and was thinking of doing just as you suggested: grind down (or cut with a Dremel!) one side. I appreciate the suggestion on the washers. I agree; can't be too safe! Also, thanks for the offer of the stock bolts. If I screw things up, I'll come back to you!