1988 Buick Century Custom 4dr sedan

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

There is a 84 Century sedan off of the highway about 3 miles from here for sale. It has 75,000 actual miles, blue, with dark blue cloth interior. Paint peeling in a couple of spots, otherwise shiny and a small dent in right front fender. Also has cold A/C. They are asking $900. for it. I am considering the car, as a work car, as the underside of my current work car (1994 Chevrolet Lumina) being a northern Ohio car, is getting a little rusty underneath. My grandmother had a 84 Chevrolet Celebrity- which is basically the exact same car as the Century, and the Celebrity was a terrible car. I am not sure if the Buick is a 4cyl or 6cyl. Could I expect a little better reliability? Does anyone here have a early-mid 80s Century that can comment on the car. Thanks.<P>[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest LeSabre Nut

I have an 87 Century. It has the Tech 4 engine in it. My mechanic is amazed that it is still running. It has just under 190,000 miles on it. I pu 100,000 on it myself. It is now just starting to use oil. My mechanic said that my 87 is unusual in that the engine has run that long. I have seen may of these in the salvage yards with this engine. It is my understanding that they last until 130,000 to 150,000. The six cylinders are a tougher engine and last longer. I love the car and it serves as my work car. Check it out. If you feel comfortable with the car get it. You be the judge.

Guest Shaffer

Actually, I think the car is a 1986 or 1987, as it has the small headlights. I think I will look at it tomorrow, time permitting. Thanks for the info.

Guest Shaffer

I looked closer at the car today and it is a 1988 Century Custom sedan. Price is now $800. I think I will take a closer look at it Monday.