Packard Hood Ornament

Kennymac55

I bought what I thought was a 40's Packard Hood Ornament. It is a swan in show condition. After searching ebay and other sites it appears that I got ripped off. The swan I got looks somewhat like a 48 swan but the swans neck isn't hanging down as low as the ones, I've seen,it appears that this swan got proud all of a sudden and raised it's head. The ones I've seen have a drooping neck.It is very similar to ebay item # 4532421433 which I think must be a knockoff also. I do not have a photo yet but will get one posted asap. Does anyone know anything about these and if there are companies that produce knockoffs that are a close resemblence to the originals? I don't know if theres patents that prevent companies from making exact replicas. I appreciate any help that you can give. I bought the item at an auction because I thought I could resale it on ebay for a little profit.

jc whitney makes some that are similar, so did a company named GEM.

web page the link should take you directly to the one offerd through jc whitney. if it was offered as a original you should contact the seller about it infact being a knockoff. ebay also offers buyer protection security center i have had to use this service before, while it took a long time i did eventually get my money back from a seller who was selling items that did not exist.

hope this helps

Guest Snopack

The real Packard hood ornaments (Cormorant) is always 3 seperate pieces, body and 2 wings. The look-a-likes are almost always one piece, also no plastic wings with lites.

John

Even back in the 50s there were "birds" being marketed to be used on other cars' hoods. The seller may think its original Packard just because it's from the period cause they don't know anything about Packard.

I saw many cars and even a tractor with the J.C. Witney cormorants while in Cuba a couple of years ago. They must have been very popular in the 1950's.

Guest Rojo22

I have purchased two or three "look alikes" with the lighted wings. I think I am going to make a display and hang them on a wall. They look pretty cool....I have a hood ornament that is pretty beat up and considered putting it on the riding lawn mower, but it kept shaking itself loose of the duct tape....

Guest imported_49packard

Anyone have a source for replacement wings? I have one with plastic wings and one broke.

David Proctor

Guest imported_Packards1

While in the Republic of Panama a number of years ago, I saw a genuine Packard 1948 Cormorant on the hood of a schoolbus. I looked at it carefully as I also saw several generic swan hood ornaments on other vehicles down there. I did not have my camara that day. Joel

Guest 51Patty400

I have a book on Callsic Cars in Cuba.

EVERYONE has a swan on their car even it is in not a Packard. They consider it a sign of luck.

- Space

Guest 51Patty400

Might be an idea to start a thread on "spare parts" we want to exchange of cheap cheap or other parts.

I have a 49-50 Swan and hood mount bar that I picked up thinking it was 51. Looking to trade or sell.

- Mark

• 8 years later...

post-67869-143141800494_thumb.jpg

Just bought a 1926 Packard Sport Phaeton that was owned by the previous owner for 60 years. It is in extremely rough shape but it is original. I would like to find a used hood ornament with a Motor Meter. Anybody know of one? Also need a back seat...any ideas you can share with me?

• 4 months later...

Yes, and Anthony carried a bit of weight in then current Packard circles, somewhere I read that his dealership sold a significant percentage of all Senior Packards sold in the country....10 percent or more?.......so I'd guess, if at a dealer meeting, he called it a Cormorant, a LOT of the factory execs would have said "Yes, Mr. Anthony!".......

• 6 years later...

I have an original 52' Packard hood ornament I'm trying to sell.  Structurally perfect,  but will need re-plating to be a showroom piece.  The copper? is starting to show through a little.  I have pics.  Call Tom @ 209-431-9080  or email  russellposse4@gmail.com.